Relaxing in Dahab


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
June 20th 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Dahab after a 40 minute flight from Hurghada which saved us a 12 hour bus ride something we were all very grateful for. Dahab is a small costal town situated on the southeast coast of the Sinai Peninsula. Many people travel here to get their diving competencies as it is very cheap and because Dahab offers some of the best diving spots in the world.

We arrived at our hotel which is beachfront late in the evening where we could see the lights of Saudi Arabia over the ocean. Before we went to sleep we made plans to snorkel the following day at the famous blue hole. The Blue Hole is a subarine sinkhole around 130 m deep. The hole itself and the surrounding area has an abundance of coral and reef fish.

Unfortunately I spent most of the night and early morning on the toilet and didn’t make it to the Blue Hole which I was bitterly disappointed about. Aaron had a great time snorkelling with the rest of the group, he said it was very beautiful and that they saw a lot of fish, he nearly stepped on a lion fish.

The following day we woke up early to try our hand at quad biking up the Sinai Peninsula. To begin with I was coping fine, but as soon as we hit the road and trucks came zooming past I freaked out and decided I'd rather sit on the back of Aaron's quad which was a far more enjoyable ride.

The landscape was astounding as we sped through the dessert and surrounding canyons. We took a break at a family's house in the dessert where we had some cold drinks and spent some time with their cute children who showed us around the canyons. Later in the afternoon we did a sunset camel ride where we stopped and had spiced tea at the blue lagoon while we watched the sun fall over the mountains.

The next few days in Dahab were spent snorkelling, laying by the pool and eating like kings. One of the most enjoyable parts of Egypt has been the cheapness of everything allowing us to eat three course meals with delicious fresh smoothies right on the water for under 10 dollars a night, a treat we often forgo as we are usually counting every cent.

Our last night in Dahab was a sad one as we farewelled the friends we had made and packed our bags for our next stop, Israel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Quad bikingQuad biking
Quad biking

Sinai Peninsula
Quad bikingQuad biking
Quad biking

Sinai Peninsula


28th June 2012

Sip a cold one for me!
Great shots of Dahab! I'm sorry I missed it....even both of my trips to Egypt :( I did see Hurgada....but I hear it's NOTHING compared to Dahab. Happy travels!

Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 88; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb