Transiting the Suez Canal


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Port Said
April 6th 2009
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Suez


Today we are going through the Suez Canal which connects the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. Google it and see what it looks like from the air.

It is 101 miles long and at its narrowest, less than 400 yards wide. Traffic is one way and in convoys.

Each day, early in the morning, two convoys depart north to south and one departs south to north (Us today). Unlike the Panama Canal, there are no locks needed to raise and lower ships as the sea level at both ends of the Suez Canal is nearly equal. There is a lake in the middle and we pass the south bound convoys in the lake and at one other passing place. We go about 10 miles per hour and it takes about 11 hours to complete the passage In 2005, 18,193 vessels passed through the canal. Unfortunately, today is very, very hazy and decent photographs are hard to come by. There aren't but two bridges from start to finish, so lots of ferries to get vehicles from one side of the canal to the other. We cannot see very far ahead of us, but I can see that the next 3 ships in front of us are large container ships.

Love to all, Granddaddy and Granny Lynne




Please click on the links below for the tracking map, the Queen Victoria Bridge webcam and the Queen Victoria tracking map.

Chuck and Lynne's Satellite Tracking Map

Webcam on the Bridge of the Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria GPS Tracking Map





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb