Welcome to Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt
October 10th 2017
Published: October 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

From the air Cairo is compelling, a dusty monochrome of building blocks stacked and formed in rows. The sunlight cast harsh shadows emphasizing the uniformity of color style and shape rows of buildings looked like sentries. From the air nothing was moving. Sand, dusty ochre and red bricks, template buildings, blocks with window squares punched out. No relief. Treeless. No shade. One color. Sand. Hazy sky. Sahara dust. Temperature 34 degrees. A Lego blocks city in sand and ochre. With dust.

On the ground layers of Sahara dust smother everything. It's Grey in the sky. It's on trees leaves streets cars buildings. Some people too. Men wear flowing robes, cotton. White robes look pristine, greys and greens look grimy. Women with colorful Headwear open faced. Some though in full cover, wearing black, only their eyes visible. Voices are quiet though the guttural Arabic language sounds angry but that's only the sound.

Checked in to my room at the Great Pyramid Inn. Wow! They meant it when they said a landmark view! Lying in bed I have a clear close view of the Great Pyramid of Cheops. I sat in awe for a long time unwilling to move on. The room was well appointed, extremely large all mod cons, a fridge with a dozen bottles of water. For drinking and to brush teeth with. Do not swallow the tap water under pain of death!

I'm exhausted from such a long journey over so many time zones but I defy jetlag. The schedule calls for a night visit to the Khan Al Khalili bazaar. My guide will meet me in front by reception at 5.30pm. It won't be Mohammed who Did the airport meet and greet. It will be Galael who is the Egyptologist I requested. My driver remains the same man, Salaeh.

A quick look from my window to the street below reveals chaos. Camels, stray dogs, horses and carriages, men in robes, cars, loiterers, idlers, piles of grass for feeding horses and mountains of litter. Horse poop. I'm already intrigued by this city. Cairo may be dusty and chaotic but it is awesome. This neighborhood lives!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th October 2017

Wow
Sounds fascinating. Not sure I could live in dust like that, but I guess they become immune to it. Ask how they keep their whites so clean! I have to wear white for yoga and even though we don't have that much dust it eventually ends up brown.
11th October 2017

That's a good question I must try to remember to ask
11th October 2017

Great to hear from you at last. Were worrying. Your commentary is precise, clear and paints a vivid picture so we too can enjoy Cairo with you. Should you wear a mask
for the dust?
11th October 2017

Yes wear a mask. With oxygen tank attached?
11th October 2017

Finally
All your posts are coming..having a lovely read with coffee and toast.. imagining your smells and sites . thank you for the imagery..
11th October 2017

Rankin'
Some of those smells are really phewwwwwwwy and you'll need to close your nose and mouth to survive. So have your coffee first lol
11th October 2017

Mango Mary On The Move
My goodness, here you are off in adventure! I look forward to your updates. I envy you and your jest for life. Take care my friend. Love D&G
11th October 2017

This is a treat
I'm delighted to hear from you my favorite Canadian peeps! It's been so very long. I trust you are both feeling well.
11th October 2017

Paints a vivid picture
Love the comprehensive, descriptive first impression from the air and thereafter. Conjures up a vivid picture of place and people. On my bucket to visit and certainly inspired from the read, does sound fascinating and intriguing
12th October 2017

You should visit. You have been warned!
11th October 2017

Finally!
Finally I get these boxes to comment. Wasn't getting those last night, as I said. So whatever you did, it worked! Photo are great and will check on the next posts soon. Miss you, but know you're enjoying your travels, so carry on! :-)
12th October 2017

The Blogs were in my junk mail
As you say AWESOME, sounds really intriguing. Remember the camels and your bronchial tubes !!!! No more photos of the hunks???
12th October 2017

Other junks girl. That Mr Smith was just for one day... I suspect they reined him in as he was going with me to dinner that night on the river boat. But Galael showed up instead.
12th October 2017

Trinigyptian
Glad to see you've reached in one piece!! Love the view from the room!! Now take to the streets and walk like an Egyptian!!
12th October 2017

I just came back from my first solo unescorted walk in Luxor. More later! There are camels down the road... Pharaohs Stables days the sign. From the look of things... Ummm I don't think so!

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb