A BIG travel day!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Set a new record for time on plane during a 24 period!


We have set our third all time record during this trip. The first was 12.5 hrs LA-to-Auckland, then we bested that by one hour during the Syndey-to-Singapore-to-Beijing run.

Yesterday, we topped 14 hours in the Beijing-to-Singapore-to-Cairo run. Can't tell you how many movies we watched, how much food we eat, how much music we listened to or how much sleep we got, but we made it.

We were offline the day before as the hotel near the Beijing Airport did not have Internet connectivity. That overnight was a deep dive into common China with local shuttle service and accomodations below what we had become used to.

Given a journey of this nature, we were under the expectation that certain days would be tougher than others; however, we had experienced a great run of good luck which came to an end at the Jinglin Hotel. Walls were dirty, floor was dirty with cigarette burns and the mini-bar contained the most interesting array of drinks and snacks we have ever seen.

We went downstairs to the Water Bar which also serves food and, after much interaction with the sweet waitress - who did not speak English - in fact, no one at the hotel did - we selected the "American Delight" pizza.

The pizza dough was a mystery, maybe cracker crumbs crushed, moistened and fried in a pan. No tomato sauce. Something resembling mozzerella cheese was on top with raw onions, green peppers with spam and corn kernels - all in all, not good.

We were up early and joined about 20 others on the schuttle bus to the airport, checked in, cleared security and ran for the Singapore Airlines Business Class lounge where we settled in to the amentities we are used to, had some breakfast and made some phone calls to family.

Upon arrival in Cairo, we were presented with a customs Passport process that was essentially a madhouse. Lines were forming everywhere, people were cutting lines. Self-important Arab men in white gowns and head coverings essentially cut in front of us. Then the Isram Tour Guide found us. We were really glad to meet Hamdy. Hamdy was "well connected" at the airport, got our luggage while we cleared customs (Ginny was drawing some serious stares from the locals as she was uncovered (hair, arms, etc.) - Egypt is, after all, 75% Muslim. Following behind Hamdy we cleared the final checks (I'm pretty sure cash exchanged hands once or twice), exited the airport and got to the minivan driven by our dirver, Handey (spelled "Honey" - go figure!) who took us through gridlock travel to the Nile Hilton - this is at 11pm mind you. It is very hot here and people come out at night. 18 million people live in Cairo, third worldwide in size behind Tokoyo and Mexico City.

Pulling into the Nile Hilton (yes, the Nile is across the street outside our window) flowing north to south (or right to left as we see it) we experienced another first. Before you can pull into the drop off area at the front of the hotel, a bomb sniffing dog circles the car - better safe than sorry we say!

The Egyptians partied, on Tuesday night nonetheless, out on the streets until about 3am since school is out - ear plugs were a necessity as they will do this every night until September.

Up early this morning with a big day - a switch from our published agenda - instead of a day off, we head out to Giza to the Sphinx, the Pyramids and a camel ride since the afternoon heat will be hot - 40 degrees (nearly 108 F), then back into town for the tour of the Egyptian Museum which is right behind our hotel.

Posting now with a couple of travel pictures - check the next posting which will be our first day in Cairo, Egypt - should be interesting




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb