Ngaga Camp - Western Lowland Gorillas


Advertisement
Congo, Republic of the's flag
Africa » Congo » North » Owando
January 25th 2023
Published: January 25th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Odzala Kokoua National Park


Ngaga Camp - Western Lowland Gorillas!

My first safari camp, near Odzala Kokoua National Park in the Republic of Congo, was Ngaga Camp. This camp began as the prime research site of Magdalena (Magda) Bermejo, generally recognized as the leading researcher in the world in regard to Western Lowland Gorillas. She was there during my stay, along with numerous other researchers. There are approximately 17 gorilla groups in the area - 3 of them have been acclimated to some limited human contact. Several years ago I was fortunate to experience a trek to view the Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda. They are relatively sedentary and very open to human presence. It was a life changing experience to be gently in the presence of these amazing creatures! By contrast, the Western Lowland Gorillas are quite active, on the move and foraging much of the day. That put us in the position of being led by a tracker who led us to the spot where the group we were to visit were last seen, following their spoor through the forest, stopping to listen quite intently, leading us onward until we found them. This act of tracking them and then respectfully following them as they went about their business added a level of intensity to the experience that was exhilarating! Watching the Silverback guard and guide his group, watching the young play so enthusiastically, watching an individual lie on its back in the thick brush, head turned up to watch us - all of these amazing moments were among the highlights of the trek and the track!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb