Supermarkets


Advertisement
Congo, Democratic Republic of the's flag
Africa » Congo Democratic Republic » West » Kinshasa
July 29th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In 2004 there were four or five what Europeans would classify as supermarkets in Kinshasa. Four years later, there are easily more than a dozen stocking every imaginable brand of imported wines and foodstuffs. It is a bit disconcerting to find things like Ecover detergents in Kinshasa (with the extent of pollution here there are much more effective ways of saving the planet) or the complete range of Cadbury’s chocolate (which I have never even seen in Brussels). The hic is of course the cost, with prices frequently more than double those in Europe. Nevertheless, this doesn’t seem to stop the up and coming Kinois and I have to admit that a trip to the supermarket is an experience in itself.

Each aisle has a person responsible for stocking shelves and assisting customers in particular with working out the price. Articles have a tag showing a code as opposed to a price. The list of codes and corresponding prices is displayed at the end of each aisle. The process makes shopping quite a time consuming but that’s just part of everyday life. With prices are erratic as in the Congos, you cannot really chuck everything into a basket and hope for the best.

In addition to European styled supermarkets, there are a large number of stores typically run by West Africans or Lebanese and located in popular neighbourhoods. Here items seem to be imported from Dubai and China and are often counterfeits of well-known brands. While the choice of goods is restricted, the prices are more realistic. But all in all the vast majority of the population shop almost exclusively at their local market which offers all the fruit, vegetables, fish, meat and manioc any household can afford.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb