What we're up to


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon
December 19th 2005
Published: December 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bought ten ore minutes of time while the family runs over to the boulangerie or bakery.

I'll just hit on a few things:

Ruth got hassled for taking a picture near a gendarme or police. They are never to be photographed in uniform with their rifles. She had to erase the picture in front of him even though he was NOT in the picture. It is all about power and intimidation...

We visited the zoo. Lots of primates.

The botanical gardens were incredible. We learned about the medicinal properties of many of the trees and plants -- saw the one that they're trying to use to cure HIV and another one that is currently in use for prostrate cancer. Also learned some history as the gardens were begun by the Germans in the late 1800's. Grandpa is eating up the history of course.

Visited the area where lava flowed over the road at the last eruption.

Church on Sunday was four and a half hours long on hard benches! Whoa! We were squeezed in like sardines. The music was wonderful but still it was a long time to be there. Daniel thinks he shouldn't have to go to church for the next month!

We are all suffering from various mosquito bites and midgies. Lots of geckos and iguanas, brightly colored, all over the place.

The Good Samaritan teaching was received well. Although only a dozen in numbers, the participants seemed to follow and appreciate it.

Today we are off to Buea to see the old German colonial fort and other sites. Tomorrow is our last day in Limbe and then we're off to Kribi. We are going to Kribi instead of the game park which cost too much and is too far away. At Kribi we hope to relax at the beach, ride in dugout canoes, view waterfalls, and perhaps view pygmie settlements. Did I write all of this already?

Well, my time is up.

If I don't get a chance for a bit, we're wishing you a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy the snow. Wish we had just a little bit here to cool us down.

Love, Denny

Advertisement



23rd December 2005

Merry Christmas
Hey all, sounds like a wonderful and sometimes hair raising time! Want to wish all of you a wonderful and Merry Christmas! We are thinking of you.
26th December 2005

Merry Christmas
Sounds like a wonderful time and trip. I miss you especially at Christmas. Sounds like GSM activities are going well. Having a quiet day at home with Nick and calling friends and family to wish them a Happy Christmas. Took my 95 yr old friend to Christmas Service - it was all done by children. They had a live Manger scene and read the story and acted it out. She loved it - had a little healing and it was the true essence of Christmas for me. All of our snow melted it has been 40 degrees for a week. All is well. Wishing you great peace and praying for you daily - safety on your trip home. Love Pat
2nd January 2006

On Your Way Home
Just wanted to say I have been praying for you all and especially for safe trip home. You stopped writing and I hope all is well. Perhaps you had no connection to the net. Talk to you soon. XXXOOO

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb