At Bandjoun Market


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon » West » Bandjoun
March 24th 2007
Published: March 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Plantains on sale at "Madelon"(Bafoussam)Plantains on sale at "Madelon"(Bafoussam)Plantains on sale at "Madelon"(Bafoussam)

Plantains on sale at "Madelon"(Bafoussam)
Heya everyone,

This is just to have you view some pictures of Bandjoun taken on this day. I went there with the parents. Bandjoun is heading the administrative division of Koung-Khi in the west province of Cameroon. We went there to visit the market. By Cameroon standards, Bandjoun is a fairly well constructed city at the divisional level. There is a small "Institute of Technology" (IUT Fotso Victor de Bandjoun) there.

The bulk of the population here live off land farming and agricultural products here are comparatively cheaper than in Bafoussam which is slighlty industrialized. The town of Bandjoun is very close to Bafoussam (just some 10 kms away or so)

Most people (especially the elderly) here would talk to you in the local dialect (the Bandjoun dialect). Nonetheless it is a nice spot to visit. They sell all sorts of products harvested from the land (tubers, vegetables, cereals) and poultry. You can also purchase some good pork meat. On a saturday like this, the place is very lively and crowded. We spent less than 2 hours to go round the relatively small market. I could hardly drag the heavy bags of items purchased (some beans
Inside Bandjoun marketInside Bandjoun marketInside Bandjoun market

There is a lot of grain on sale here (groundnuts, maize, beans, soja etc...) and other products from the land (ground potatoes, taro, yams...).
and other grain to be used as seed for sowing). I had in vain tried to spot some valuable handicraft stuff. Let's get back...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Pork meat sellerPork meat seller
Pork meat seller

The pigs' flesh is generally appreciated in the West province. Their are often available during major celebrations (funerals, marriages...). If you are a moslem you better always inquire before eating some meat here.
Another pork meat sellerAnother pork meat seller
Another pork meat seller

Yep, You guessed right, we bought some pork meat that day :).
A hotel in Bandjoun, in front of Bandjoun market.A hotel in Bandjoun, in front of Bandjoun market.
A hotel in Bandjoun, in front of Bandjoun market.

A hotel in Bandjoun, in front of Bandjoun market. Notice on the left, Up to four persons on the same bike!
An avenue in BandjounAn avenue in Bandjoun
An avenue in Bandjoun

Check the crowded road. it always like this on markets days and it is only when a car wants to get through that people open up some way for it.
Atmosphere at Bandjoun market.Atmosphere at Bandjoun market.
Atmosphere at Bandjoun market.

Atmosphere at Bandjoun market.These mothers trade their products on the roadside.
Hey? I am back...Hey? I am back...
Hey? I am back...

I had no choice but to roast the pork meat. miam...


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb