Day 5. Maun


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Maun
August 22nd 2012
Published: August 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a very noisy night in the town of Maun we were up early. We decided to spend the day catching up on laundry and just relaxing as well as replenishing food stocks. We had a scrumptious breakfast and decided to see what Maun had to offer. The plan was to do a scenic flight over the Okavango delta later that afternoon. Once we finished stocking up we went to Wimpy for a bite to eat and to use their free Wi-fi. At 3.30 was when our flight was booked for. We arrive and paid and are hustled through the airport, onto the taxi and to the plane, meet the pilot who seems to be a cool guy. The plane is small, 7 seats, but it's big in the right places. A few of us anxious and a few excited but all ready and eager to go. A bit of a bumpy take off but otherwise quick. But wow! The view was incredible!!! ( ok just some background quick on the Okavango delta: it floods during winter,it gets it's water from Angola, but the rest of the place is bone drive). So we fly towards the delta but everything is dry besides the flood plains. There is so much water its unbelievable especially since its winter. There were so many elephant and buffalo bathing in the rivers and streams, as well as we were low enough to see the hippo in the pools. The pilot was excellent making sharp turns so all of us could see the animals and he kept pointing out things before we could see them. He made sharp lefts and rights going back over in case we missed something that we all wanted to see. A few of the passengers started to feel sick towards the end. But all in all it was a simply breathtaking and unforgettable experience. The say a picture can tell 1000 words but the feelings and emotions that go with that can not be captured, and this was one of those times. Telling someone is only half the story they need to do it to fully understand and this is me of those times. After the flight we went back to the campsite for some R&R and a swim. Adrian took us out for an amazing dinner. Then we went back to the campsite and had some much needed sleep. Dylan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb