Okavango Delta


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Maun
April 2nd 2007
Published: April 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sat31st
Truck journey to the Okavango Delta- I slept all the way. When we arrived a few of us went up in a plane to see it and a few animals from above. It wasn’t as good as the micro light and I threw up on the way down!!

Sun 1st
Up early and onto an open truck and into the delta, then onto a makuro a hollowed out trunk canoe that 2 of us went into with one guy to “punt” us along. We arrived in a clearing and set up camp. We played a few games and then had a go punting the makuro’s and went for a swim in the delta. At 5 we went on an evening walk which I really enjoyed, the sun was setting and we spotted a couple of elephants in the distance. When we got back to the campsite we found out that the other group had been chased by elephants and had to run for it. Camping without a fence around us was an experience hearing hippos grunting close by.

Mon 2nd
Up early for a morning walk we saw giraffe and hippo but it wasn’t as pretty as last night with the sunset. Then we did the journey in reverse and then into our truck to drive closer to the Namibian border. When we arrived we were met by the bush men of the Calahari called the Khoa Khoa. They wore animal skins and showed us the plants that they use for medicine and eat. It was really interesting.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Accacia treeAccacia tree
Accacia tree

giraffes favourite food- they swallow the spikes aswell!! Viscous saliva protects their throat.
Elephant seen on footElephant seen on foot
Elephant seen on foot

the other group had to run away from the one they saw!


4th April 2007

Camping
Reminds me of that well known (?) book ‘Morton Mouse Goes Camping’ where he pitches his tent in the dark and accidentally he is camping in the safari park.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb