Who's the King of the Jungle


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Maun
December 7th 2006
Published: December 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset over the deltaSunset over the deltaSunset over the delta

Our first night's safari walk we watched the sunset- beautiful! Then all the mosquitoes came out!
A hollowed out tree trunk boat took us to the beautiful conservation area that is the Okavango Delta; a river delta that is almost dried up (100years) but is still full of reeds and shallow water ways and of course , a variety of animal and plant life.

This is a really special place. The government only let a certain number of tourists there and there are strict rules on no litter, no soaps and deoderants!! We weren't even allowed to leave fruit peel cos it wasn't native to the land.

Each morning we were up at 5am for a three hour bush walk while it was still 'cool'! By 9am it was 40 degrees in the sun- no kidding! The bush walks were brill. We saw alsorts of animals right up close and got to know footprints and dropping and sooo many birds! We spent the days swimming the pools and sleeping in the shade.

One evening we went on a hippo sunset cruise where we were about 10meters away from a family of 8!

Evening time was spent around an open camp (unlike most other nights which we had an electric fence compound) The first
Washing up at camp!Washing up at camp!Washing up at camp!

This is Tasmin and our guide, Soul
night an elephant was eating branches right next to our toilet pit and a hyena was right ou thte other side!

Oh yeah, I also ate a grasshopper! - tasted bit like a prawn!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Watering hole at the deltaWatering hole at the delta
Watering hole at the delta

early morning at the watering hole- loads of big birds!
BeetleBeetle
Beetle

You have never seen such big insects!! Anne found a cockroach in her bra early one morning. There were also various beetles and massive wasps!



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb