Game driving and cruising in Chobe


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
September 16th 2010
Published: September 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday (30/7/2010)
Another early start and we were starting to become accustomed to the pre six am routine. Quick breaky and we were back on board Matilda bound for Kasane. Passing the hours with napping, reading, cards it wasn’t long til we were in Kasane . Lunch stop at the Pizza joint then to quick shop for drinks and snacks for our Chobe river cruise that evening! Stocked up we piled back on for the short trip to Thebe Camp site. We set up camp and the girls set to getting pretty whilst the boys knocked out a power bush gym. We boarded our barge right on three with another overland truck making it a full house. We spotted some hippo’s wallowing in the shallows not keen to give us much of a show and couple crocs sun-baking in the late afternoon sun. We passed waterbuck, white storks, marabos and lots of elephants. The drinks flowed and the night continued on back at camp we Jay and his guitar described as ‘a choir gone wrong’ by our fellow campers the next morning.

Saturday (AM 31/7/2010)
The early morning ritual continued despite the big night as we set off on game drive through Chobe National Park. We boarded onto a large safari vehicle and it was bloody freezing. We huddle together for warmth and waited. It seemed like an eternity before we passed a beautiful lilac crested bird. Then an African fish eagle, some giraffes in the distance and lots of impala. We came across two baboons mating!! Then we were off as a sighting had been radio’d in to our driver we set off on a mad chase to the plains as a group of lions had been spotted. We eventually spotted them far off in the distance but unfortunately a long way from any permitted roads (and definitely out of photograph-able distance). We resumed along the water’s edge past some hippo’s and crocs until the next apparent sighting of a leopard. A leopard… we were yet to see a leopard and the thought of it we were very excited. But it turned out to be a fruitless chase and our hopes were shattered.
Back to camp we hoed into some pancakes for breaky and hit the road. After a relatively seamless border crossing into Zimbabwe we arrived at Shoestrings Campsite in Victoria Falls. This would be the last stop for nearly half of our truck as some concluded their tour, others carried on towards Nairobi and we took a right towards Mozambique.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 21; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb