Entry 1


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-East
February 16th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody..

We have been here for a few weeks now so apologize for the incredibly late 1st entry..

We are currently spending our last day at the Chobe Safari Lodge based in Kasane - just on the border of Chobe National Park. Our 4 days here have been absolutely incredible, the camping being rather luxurious given that we can use all the Hotel facilities! Our drives through the National Park were spectacular - saw countless elephant, hippo, giraffe, Crocodile, Impala, Kudu, Warthog, baboon, Buffalo
..and the list goes on..Sorry Chris no Lions as of yet!

South Africa - where our journey began - was such a great experience. We hadnt really begun our 'safari' as such until we reached the Khama Rhino Santuary in Botswana but the experience was still a really good one.
Our first few days in Cape town were ultimately quite relaxing - probably giving us a rather false sense of security but nevertheless we had such a fantastic time. Cape town was not only beautiful but there was so much to do there that we actually kept quite busy climbing Table mountain, driving down to Cape Point, visiting Stellenbosch, buying more camping/car/food supplies, enjoying dinner by the waterfront as well as
chilling out with the penguins at Boulders Bay! We were lucky enough to stay with the Knight family - their house being only minutes away from the V & A waterfront. The food was fabulous, the weather amazing - couldnt have asked for anything more really! We then spent a few lazy days at the Knight's house in knysna - a beautiful town situated right on the coast - after which we drove for about 11 hours up to Kimberley. With one night there we were then back on the road (all rather reluctantly i might add) first thing the next morning in order to reach the Rhino Sanctuary, Serowe, by 7:00. We got there at 6:59.

The sanctuary was beautiful and the people were very welcoming. We came across Rhino,Zebra, Giraffe, monkey and alot more during the two game drives we did in our 3 days there. The camping was the first of the trip and i have to admit i was pleasantly suprised! The only slight nag was the screeching of birds and monkeys throughout the camp at 5 in the morning..dont think we ever got up later than 7!

Our next stop was about 60km west of Fancistown where we stayed with Ginny and Ant Johnson for a few days. Their 15 000 hectare farm was absolutely stunning (they farmed Kudu, Impala, Wildebeast and were currently carrying out a project to try and tag the 12 or so leopard that they believe to be on the farm)
and it was great to see Catherine Kidd there too who i hadnt seen for some time. Our time there was so wonderful none of us wanted to leave..Ginny was so kind and such an incredible cook whilst Ant must have been one of the most interesting people i have ever met - and i mean that in the best way possible of course!

From there we started our journey up here to chobe with an overnight stop at the camp Elephant Sands to break up the rather lengthy drive - the road was so appauling due to the million potholes we came across! That night we enjoyed a burger (apart from Lily who opted for a cheese and tomato toastie..) and a beer whilst looking out onto the elephant drinking at the waterhole.

We arrived at the Chobe Safari Lodge at about midday on the 12th and ever since then have been having a real adventure - the camp having signs reading 'BEWARE CROCODILES' plastered all over the place!

Our next stop is back down to Gweta where we will visit the Mgadkigadki (not sure how to spell it) Pans. Then on the Okovango!

Look forward to writing soon....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb