2 driving days - Leaving Botswana, headed to South Africa

Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-East » Francistown
May 4th 2014
Published: May 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The next two days were full driving days as we made our way toward Kruger National Park in South Africa.

Saturday we woke up early, packed up camp, and hit the road. I am easily carsick so I basically just listen to music and nap most of the time. I attempted to continue teaching friendship bracelets but that quickly made me feel nauseous.

Ourcampsite this night felt like Santa Fe. Red dirt and cacti everywhere. There were outdoor bathrooms and showers. It was a nice enough campsite but hot. The pool was not so great so we posted up in the bar. Dinner was some kind of beef stew with veggies and rice. Since we were mostly hungover today we were somehow still tired. After dinner we snuggled up in our tent and watch an episode of a tv show Hilary had downloaded on her ipad.

Sunday we were up at 5:00am for breatkfast, pack up camp, and hit the road again.

Another long bumpy journey. The overhead shelving on our truck started to dismantle today. While we were attempting to prop it up so it didn't come crashing down on our heads, our driver, Becky, pulled over. We assumed someone in the front had intercom-ed down to him but it turns out we were out of diesel. Someone at the campsite the night before syphoned our gas and now we were stranded. Fortunately it didn't take him too long to flag someone down on the road.

Minor setback. Now we were off to cross the South Africa border. During our lunch stop the guide went to hardware store and fixed the shelving on the truck. Unfortunately the setbacks caused us to arrive late at camp and this is the nicest campsite of them all! Beautiful bathrooms, mini golf, pools, and its situated along the Blyde River Canyon and there are great hiking trails. We all rushed to set up our tents so we could explore a little before sunset at dinner. We raced to one of the look out points (along the way Hilary got attacked by monkeys. The monkeys must have thought she was getting too close to their babies).

Dinner was a bolognese pasta. I rushed through dinner so I could take a hot clean shower. It took 3 latherings of shampoo for my hair to actually take the suds. And I used the hand dryers to "blow dry" my hair. Finally clean! (Until moments later when I douse myself with bug spray).

After some wine and Amarula (creamy South African liquor, like Baileys) we went to bed.

Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Tot: 0.422s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb