Arrival in Francistown!


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-East » Francistown
June 4th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we made it safely to Francistown!! We spent yesterday just wandering in the centre of Gaborone and took some pictures of the Parliament building etc, but nothing too hardcore touristy as we were still recovering from travelling! It's a nice enough city, but we all got the impression it has been very quickly purpose built and is definitely not a top tourist destination! In fact we ended up in a government office for the Department of Tourism getting some information on buses to Francistown etc as the tourist board was too difficult to find! We had our first experience of "combis" (minibus taxis you flag down, cram into no matter how many people are already in there and shout when you want to get off) and successfully managed to get back to our accommodation without too much bother!!

We got the bus to Francistown yesterday which took 6 hours and was quite cramped. Every time it stopped, people crammed on to try to sell us peanuts, juice, belts, magazines...you name it. We easily got to our accommodation, which is lovely. One of the receptionists seems to have taken a shine to us as she is also called Anna, so is happy to help us with anything!

We made our first visit to Nyangabgwe hospital this morning where we met our lovely, friendly supervisor. We were just shown around and introduced to a couple of doctors, but we start properly tomorrow. It looks like 7.30am starts every day!!!!! I think Anna and Amy will start in A&E and Jemma and Fiona will be in Obs and Gynae. The hospital seems nice, but we can update you on that when we have had more experience of it!

We have spent the rest of the day getting to know the town. We all have a really good feeling about it: we don't feel as much like conspicuous white tourists here as we did in Gaborone and people are generally really friendly. A well made choice for Elective location, we think!

JAFA xxxx


Advertisement



4th June 2008

All good!
Sounds like a great start to your adventure!! Looking good for the next couple of months then?? Don't work tooooo hard. XXXX

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb