Elephant Sands


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » Kgalagadi » Kalahari Desert
November 6th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Livingstone, most of our tour group split up. Some of us headed home, others are going on to Nairobi or, like me, Johannesburg. For this leg of the trip we are transferred to another truck along with some people who'd traveled from Nairobi.

We are now back in Botswana, retracing some of steps that we took from Cape Town. Last night we stayed at the Elephant Sands camp site in the Northern Kalahari desert. There, the most amazing thing happened during dinner. As we were eating, I glanced over, by accident at dirty swimming pool on the edge of the camp site, and there were 3 elephants drinking from it! Some people had already seen them and had quietly made their way over to the pool but most of the camp seemed unaware - the elephants had made absolutely no noise at all! They, one adult and two children, were at most 20 meters away, it was astonishing! Apparently, the area is so dry that animals, such as elephants and lions have previously made their way to the pool at night. The morning after, our guide found some fresh leopard tracks by the pool. Damn.



Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb