Etosha and The Okavango Delta


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » Ghanzi District » Ghanzi
August 1st 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

A  Bushman's Daughter.A  Bushman's Daughter.A Bushman's Daughter.

This is my favourite photo so far! She was wrapped in a blanket on her mums back.
It seems like a lifetime ago but I did my first game drives in Etosha. We had a great amp site that was near a waterhole that was permanently light during the night. Tourists can sit there and watch animals come and drink. I was fortunate enough to witness a giraffe drinking. They look so unco when they try to drink he he he.
On the game drive we found another waterhole that had zebra, springbok, Kudu and giraffe. Suddenly this lion apperaed from nowhere and all the animals moved away very very quickly. We sat and watched her for hours. Our tour driver, Captain Patrick said that the lion was hungry and wanted food because of the way she was looking around. I don't know.... i think he knows what he is talking about.... either way she took too long to decide on what she wanted to eat and we were all a little impatient to wait.

I've been doing some really long drives in the last 2 weeks.We stayed in Ghanzi for 1 night were Sheena and I upgraded to some cool huts. We were taken on a tour by the traditional bushman ( nothing like our bushmen)
The Hunting LionThe Hunting LionThe Hunting Lion

Was an amazing site
and they showed us how they live off the land. I have fallen in love with the african children here. They have such gorgeous faces. I am constantly amazed about how many stars are in the sky at night in Africa. It is so clear and very easy to spot lots of constellations. My room buddy, Sheena (from England) is an astrology freak who knows stacks and is teaching me a lot.

We then spent 2 days around the Okavango Delta. The local people took us to one of the many Islands by a Mokoro, which is like a canoe. These Mokoros in themselves are incredible. The locals carve them out of the wood of the Mokoro Tree. They are beginning to use man-made plastic Mokoros as the tree takes 80 years to grow before it is big enough to turn into a Mokoro canoe. Unbelievably the canoes only last about 5 years. .

Anyway they dropped us on this island where we set up camp then headed out on a walking Safari. It was much harder to spot animals because they are in their truest, naturalist form and frightened of humans. We spotted elephants and got within
Giraffe DrinkingGiraffe DrinkingGiraffe Drinking

Would like to see him do this after a few drinks!!!
100m of them before they took off. We went to a waterhole where I was able to see many animal footprints that had dried in the mud, inlcuding a massive elephant. I really loved been in the middle of nowhere and had a fantastic evening of laughs with the guys on my tour around the campfire. When we returned to the main land % of us took a flight over the Delta. It is such a big place. From the air we saw tonnes of animals. It was 5 seater plane that flew low to the ground so I had a little trouble dealing with the rise and fall but it was worth it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Ghanzi HutGhanzi Hut
Ghanzi Hut

This is were I slept for 1 night
On The DeltaOn The Delta
On The Delta

We sat and watched a hippo play as the sun set. Incredible!
Elephant feetElephant feet
Elephant feet

Man, they are big!
The Flight over DeltaThe Flight over Delta
The Flight over Delta

I'm pretending that I am relaxed!!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb