Botswana


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » Central » Mahalapye
March 28th 2013
Published: March 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Botswana




Analyzing the natural resource curse




The natural resource curse refers to the countries that have an abundance of natural resources, but tend to have less economic growth and worse development than countries with fewer natural resources. These countries may have so many natural resources, but the extreme poverty that they are living in brings them down. The natural resource curse often occurs because the income from the resources if often used inappropriately. Corrupt leaders and officials should be using this money for economic growth and development.





The country of Botswana is rich in several natural resources such as diamonds, and they have had a stable economy for decades. In 2002, they exported two billion dollars worth of diamonds, nickel, gold, and several other resources. Botswana has avoided the natural resource curse through good government policies, strong political leaderships, and a successful plan for development. With the money they earned they have been able to provide quality public services such as healthcare and education to the citizens. With a stable income, they have invested greatly in the community giving them schools, hospitals, and recreational facilities for employees and local residents. Th biggest natural resource in their county is diamonds. All aspects of the diamond trading including mining, cutting and polishing, and manufacturing are managed by the people of their country. Due to this, Botswana retains more of its diamond wealth than any other nations that only export rough diamonds.

Botswana has managed to avoid the natural resource curse and will most likely never become trapped in it. They have been on the right track for so long, and they use their wealth to benefit the country. Other countries could learn from Botswana by changing the way their money gets spent, and by giving less to the personal benefits of the leaders in those corrupt nations. Putting their natural resource wealth towards public services such as education and healthcare will slowly rebuild their economy and take them out of the natural resource curse for good.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb