Background: Colombia was one of the three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others are Ecuador and Venezuela). A 40-year insurgent campaign to overthrow the Colombian Government escalated during the 1990s, undergirded in part by funds from the drug trade. Although the violence is deadly and large swaths of the countryside are under guerrilla influence, the movement lacks the military strength or popular support necessary to overthrow the government. An anti-insurgent army of paramilitaries has grown to several thousand strong in recent years, challenging the insurgents for control of territory and the drug trade, and also the government's ability to exert its dominion over rural areas. While Bogota steps up efforts to reassert government control throughout the country, neighboring countries worry about the violence spilling over their borders.
Blogs from San Gil
Latest Blogs from San Gil
- November 27th 2012 San Gil
by Words: 362 Photos: 14
- October 25th 2012 Getting To San Gil
by Words: 827 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2012 The begining of exploring Colombia - it's beautiful!
by Words: 828 Photos: 0
- September 21st 2012 Colombia’s adventure sport capital, welcome to San Gil!
by Words: 2319 Photos: 32
- September 19th 2012 monserrate and san gil
by Words: 517 Photos: 14
- August 20th 2012 The story of"Scrapes"...
by Words: 357 Photos: 9
- March 26th 2012 From monkeys with mohawks to monster fruit salads...Colombia continues to amaze us!
by Words: 2683 Photos: 88
- September 22nd 2011 On the Up and Up
by Words: 492 Photos: 9
- August 31st 2011 San Gil - The Heart of Colombia
by Words: 1401 Photos: 29
- August 8th 2011 Hola Colombia
by Words: 1809 Photos: 39
- July 27th 2011 The girl who can´t eat papaya and the 1st 'gringo' (London, New York, Colombia: Bogota, San Gil)
by Words: 1066 Photos: 6
- June 20th 2011 San Gil - Rafting and Guacho's of Guane
by Words: 1938 Photos: 9
- April 28th 2011 San Gil, les portes de Barichara et... s'envoler comme un oiseau!!
by Words: 718 Photos: 43
- March 14th 2011 San Gil
by Words: 787 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2011 sunny san gil
by Words: 941 Photos: 36
- February 7th 2011 San Gil March 2011
by Words: 408 Photos: 19
- December 22nd 2010 El Caballero de la Noche
by Words: 1084 Photos: 5
- November 15th 2010 San Gil
by Words: 2103 Photos: 180
- October 19th 2010 San Gil (Paraglideing)
by Words: 139 Photos: 8
- October 18th 2010 San Gil
by Words: 207 Photos: 16