Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Blogs from Fox Glacier
Latest Blogs from Fox Glacier
- February 15th 2010 Fox-Trotting on Fox Glacier
by Words: 1571 Photos: 61
- December 1st 2009 Wanaka/Biggles/Glaciers
by Words: 635 Photos: 10
- April 11th 2008 We're In NZ!
by Words: 146 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2007 Copland Track/Hotsprings
by Words: 418 Photos: 16
- December 1st 2006 West Coast Glaciers Part II - Fox
by Words: 280 Photos: 3
- October 5th 2006 Possum Killer Of The Wild West!
by Words: 983 Photos: 42
- August 21st 2006 Glaciers and Haast Pass
by Words: 324 Photos: 28
- July 12th 2006 Fox Glacier Mint!
by Words: 979 Photos: 10
- July 11th 2006 Walking (And Skiing) In A Winter Wonderland
by Words: 859 Photos: 8
- April 30th 2006 Is this where the mints come from?
by Words: 139 Photos: 1
- March 17th 2006 The Glaciers
by Words: 352 Photos: 26
- February 23rd 2006 Day 81 - Fox Glacier
by Words: 194 Photos: 21
- February 23rd 2006 Ups and Downs of a Tiki Tour
by Words: 1232 Photos: 14
- February 22nd 2006 Day 80 - Drive to Fox Glacier
by Words: 136 Photos: 6
- January 18th 2006 Mahinapua and Carly's Birthday
by Words: 162 Photos: 2
- December 30th 2005 Nyar vid glaciaren
by Words: 158 Photos: 0
- November 21st 2005 Showers, sandflies and (finally) sun!
by Words: 545 Photos: 8
- August 22nd 2005 Fox Glacier Hiking! What's Cooler than being cool?
by Words: 645 Photos: 11
- March 1st 2005 Aww... New Zealand
by Words: 634 Photos: 26
- November 14th 2004 Joan's birthday in NZ
by Words: 219 Photos: 10