Wanaka/Biggles/Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Fox Glacier
December 1st 2009
Published: December 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We're doing well - this is our second blog in two days.

It's all very well dashing about NZ doing amazing things, but at some point one has to organise domestic stuff and, as Harry says, "domestic stuff is too hard for men". The motel at Wanaka was blessed with a laundry and, as luck would have it, it was a gloriously sunny day so we did our 4th big wash of the trip (just to rassure you that we're keeping ourselves tidy).

Whilst watching me hanging out the washing, Harry saw a Tiger Moth flying overhead towards the local airport and he decided it was incumbent upon him to organise manly pursuits. So off we went in search of the Tiger Moth. We had an inkling that if we followed the signs to the airport we'd have a good chance of finding it, which we did. It's clear from the photo that Harry missed his true vocation. He looks happy and at home in his Biggles jacket, and he chirruped on about his flight and being allowed to take over the controls for ages afterwards.

Wanaka is like a mini Queenstown with lots going on and lakes all over the shop. We drove from Wanaka to Fox Glacier via the Haast Pass - all incredibly picturesque with mountains, gorges, waterfalls and blue lakes on the way. Fox and Franz Joseph are famous for their land terminating glaciers which makes them very accessible. The weather had turned cloudy, rainy and cold again when we arrived in Fox so we were resigned to not seeing very much as we didn't think the helicopters would fly and we didn't fancy a half day/whole day hike in grotty conditions. So we decided to do the free half-hour walk to the face of the Fox Glacier. When we saw it, even from a distance, we were bowled over. Close up it's magnificent, but we kept to the safe distance advised because the face is notoriously unstable. To get an idea of scale, one of the photos shows a person as a 1mm dot against a pile of snow in front of the glacier face.

Luckily for us the clouds then lifted a bit and we were able to fly over both glaciers. The flight was something else entirely. Nathan, our 26-year old pilot, was the coolest dude you'd ever meet. He could land the helicopter on the smallest of spots, which he did just below Mount Cook. There are a couple of photos from the small ridge that we landed on. When he took off from the ridge he just went straight over the top and down a vertical face. He chased a mountain goat, flew down river valleys and flew helter-skelter-like up and over mountain peaks. It was a totally exhillarating and awesome flight. Because we've seen the French Alps that have glaciers at Val Thorens and Tignes we'd assumed that the NZ glaciers would be similar. Wrong. They're like mountains of ice with enormous stacks and crevaces everywhere, some of which are 150 metres deep, all concertina'd up, and the ice is pale blue because of the minerals in it. I make no apologies for going on about it because it deserves more than a few lines. TV and books cannot compare with seeing them up close and personal.

A final smile was Nathan deciding to fill up with aviation fuel on the way back. He just landed the helicopter at an airfield in Franz Joseph and coolly filled up whilst texting, just like he was pulling his car into a BP garage. It was then up and over the mountain and back to Fox. Brilliant!!!

Love to all - Angela and Harry xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Spot the person!Spot the person!
Spot the person!

This was the outlet for the stream that flows under the glacier


3rd December 2009

Hello there
What can I say, it all looks so amazing and you both look so well. I like the look of Las Vegas even though it probably is "over the top". You certainly are making the most of things and look the real action couple. New Zealand looks wonderful. Ann Hall's daughter lives near Dunedin. It is so nice being able to catch up on your travels on "travelblog" it is all so clever. I hope you are impressed that I have found my way round the system! Look forward to following your travels, so pleased that you are both obviously having a good time. You will be pleased to know that it is very wet, windy and dull in England. Of course the christmas decorations were put up in the office yesterday, I did manage to get off my seat and put lights round my notice board! Take care love Glenda
3rd December 2009

Nathan
Graham would LOVE to be Nathan. What a cool job! Glad there is a person in your Glacier pic otherwise I don't think I would have been that impressed. Now I really need to go see it for myself. Glad you are both having such a good time. Not jealous..... MUCH! xxxloveyouxxx

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb