Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Glaciers
Blogs from Glaciers
Latest Blogs from Glaciers
- February 20th 2011 Wist Cowst continues
by Words: 70 Photos: 10
- December 28th 2010 Glacier Country 7 to 12 December 2010
by Words: 3639 Photos: 11
- November 9th 2010 Lake Tekapo (Tasman Glacier, Horse Riding & Snow Landing )
by Words: 578 Photos: 65
- March 5th 2010 Our South Island Adventure - A bit of relaxation sounds good
by Words: 418 Photos: 4
- April 28th 2009 To the Wild Wild West!
by Words: 1593 Photos: 34
- April 24th 2009 Mt Aspiring NP - Fox - Franz - Westport
by Words: 1220 Photos: 9
- February 6th 2009 Altitude is the only way to escape the sandflies
by Words: 950 Photos: 10
- January 14th 2009 Franz Josef et Fox Glaciers - Nouvelle Zélande
by Words: 332 Photos: 17
- December 28th 2008 More Ice.....Yep still cold
by Words: 372 Photos: 13
- December 17th 2008 Kiwis, Fijis and Hawaiis
by Words: 5329 Photos: 140
- November 21st 2008 Glacier Country
by Words: 18 Photos: 23
- May 27th 2008 Sweet As Bro
by Words: 660 Photos: 12
- April 1st 2008 Chopper fun and games!
by Words: 638 Photos: 20
- March 21st 2008 sademetsaa ja jaatikkoa
by Words: 143 Photos: 4
- February 14th 2008 Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers...
by Words: 134 Photos: 50
- January 7th 2008 Glacier Tramping!!
by Words: 853 Photos: 16
- December 29th 2007 Franz Josef, Fox, Haast
by Words: 443 Photos: 13
- December 28th 2007 Glaciers and Siberia
by Words: 1381 Photos: 28
- October 24th 2007 The 'Fox'
by Words: 624 Photos: 10
- October 15th 2007 Take a hike on a glacier???
by Words: 532 Photos: 4