Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Whangamata
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Whangamata
Latest Blogs from Whangamata
- December 16th 2011 Surprise family get-together for Mum's birthday
by Words: 85 Photos: 5
- January 12th 2011 Hahei - Opotere
by Words: 927 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2010 29 04 2010
by Words: 649 Photos: 39
- February 12th 2009 Whangamata
by Words: 284 Photos: 7
- January 23rd 2008 Relaxation
by Words: 329 Photos: 2
- January 22nd 2008 Back to where we belong!
by Words: 719 Photos: 3
- July 22nd 2007 There be gold in them there hills!!
by Words: 1508 Photos: 12
- March 25th 2007 Beach and bach retreat
by Words: 580 Photos: 12