Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Whitianga
Blogs from Whitianga
Latest Blogs from Whitianga
- January 21st 2013 Coromandel
by Words: 567 Photos: 10
- October 16th 2012 14. 10 bis 16.10.12, von Paihia, über Snells Beach nach Whitianga
by Words: 706 Photos: 26
- April 19th 2012 Auckland and the trip to Whitianga
by Words: 102 Photos: 6
- March 9th 2012 Another suitcase in another hall
by Words: 281 Photos: 15
- December 22nd 2011 Hot Water Beach & Whitianga
by Words: 108 Photos: 3
- April 14th 2011 Journal day - 68 Maori/Celtic fusion!
by Words: 151 Photos: 0
- April 13th 2011 The Coromandel Peninsula
by Words: 269 Photos: 13
- April 13th 2011 Journal day 67 - Whitianga, Bone Carving & Hot Water Beach.
by Words: 487 Photos: 0
- December 15th 2010 The Coromandel, Whitianga and Mercury Bay
by Words: 160 Photos: 6
- December 4th 2010 Under the sea!
by Words: 214 Photos: 9
- January 11th 2010 Dig Your Own Hot Tub
by Words: 830 Photos: 4
- January 9th 2010 Christmas and new years time!!!
by Words: 57 Photos: 38
- October 28th 2009 Mercury Bay
by Words: 430 Photos: 2
- March 10th 2009 magic mugwort palaces, fairy god mothers and ritalin
by Words: 2447 Photos: 9
- February 12th 2009 Coromandel - Whitianga & Thames
by Words: 164 Photos: 4
- February 12th 2009 Cathedrals and baths.
by Words: 1984 Photos: 34
- February 11th 2009 A car for NZ...off we go!
by Words: 1595 Photos: 8
- January 27th 2009 Whitianga (Fit-i-ang-a)
by Words: 437 Photos: 8
- January 22nd 2009 whitianga
by Words: 161 Photos: 3
- January 9th 2009 COROMANDEL EAST / ROTORUA
by Words: 1741 Photos: 23