Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Ballarat
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Ballarat
Latest Blogs from Ballarat
- April 4th 2013 Jenny and Bruce's Wheelie good adventure
by Words: 9 Photos: 2
- February 14th 2013 A day in Ballarat
by Words: 354 Photos: 0
- January 31st 2013 Souvereign Hill & Melbourne deel 2
by Words: 894 Photos: 18
- October 31st 2012 Animals
by Words: 497 Photos: 14
- October 29th 2012 Ballarat
by Words: 414 Photos: 18
- October 28th 2012 Day 1. Or is that 2? Or 3?
by Words: 309 Photos: 3
- April 17th 2012 Ballarat, Mildura and Broken Hill
by Words: 574 Photos: 12
- April 17th 2012 In the Goldfield at Ballarat - day 2
by Words: 614 Photos: 18
- April 16th 2012 In the Goldfield at Ballarat
by Words: 643 Photos: 22
- December 18th 2011 Macedon, Melbourne, Ballarat
by Words: 1521 Photos: 19
- November 25th 2011 DAY 108(21/11/11)
by Words: 44 Photos: 2
- September 30th 2011 Our first step into the past....
by Words: 441 Photos: 8
- January 17th 2011 'Blood On The Southern Cross'
by Words: 1737 Photos: 26
- January 15th 2011 There's More Than Gold In Ballarat!
by Words: 747 Photos: 20
- January 14th 2011 Better News For Most
by Words: 1699 Photos: 10
- November 22nd 2010 Apollo Bay, Otway Fly and later to Ballarat
by Words: 386 Photos: 7
- March 24th 2010 Eureka!
by Words: 728 Photos: 12
- July 20th 2009 Gold country and Melbourne
by Words: 886 Photos: 16
- June 16th 2009 Day out to Sovereign Hill
by Words: 179 Photos: 32
- March 9th 2009 Arapiles
by Words: 915 Photos: 8