Great Barrier Reef
Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Great Barrier Reef
Blogs from Great Barrier Reef
Latest Blogs from Great Barrier Reef
- April 27th 2013 Scuba Diving the Great Barrier Reef
by Words: 133 Photos: 4
- November 17th 2012 Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling trip...
by Words: 270 Photos: 10
- October 12th 2012 Heron Island: A Dream
by Words: 358 Photos: 8
- October 7th 2012 Great Barrier Reef - OMG
by Words: 400 Photos: 3
- September 22nd 2012 Port Douglas videos
by Words: 1058 Photos: 23
- September 5th 2012 Trying out the new Go Pro dive housing in Opal Reef
by Words: 1206 Photos: 10
- August 12th 2012 Diving on the great barrier Reef
by Words: 80 Photos: 38
- July 24th 2012 24 July 2012
by Words: 448 Photos: 0
- June 18th 2012 Ocean Freedom Tour- Great Barrier Reef!!!
by Words: 553 Photos: 0
- June 9th 2012 Great Barrier Reef...magnificent...
by Words: 248 Photos: 7
- April 7th 2012 Agincourt Reef Trip
by Words: 760 Photos: 28
- February 22nd 2012 Heaven on earth......
by Words: 597 Photos: 31
- December 19th 2011 I love sharks....but I don't kiss sharks!
by Words: 1814 Photos: 51
- December 6th 2011 Living The Dream?!?
by Words: 1000 Photos: 49
- November 8th 2011 The GREAT Barrier Reef. THE highlight I expect of the whole trip.
by Words: 231 Photos: 0
- September 24th 2011 Sharks on a soapbox
by Words: 655 Photos: 48
- September 15th 2011 The Great Barrier Reef - By Grace
by Words: 328 Photos: 1
- August 17th 2011 Port o call
by Words: 164 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2011 Day 22 - Leaving the Reef
by Words: 516 Photos: 4
- July 27th 2011 Day 21 - Still on the Great Barrier Reef
by Words: 1367 Photos: 5