Cairns and beyond


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
June 17th 2014
Published: June 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So, we had a day trip out to the Barrier Reef, which was truly amazing. The boat trip out there was calm, and 1,1/2 hours later we all found ourselves donning wetsuits, masks, snorkels and fins, and then jumping into 26 degree water. The fish and coral were at our fingertips, and the colours have to be seen to be believed. We had to pinch ourselves to make sure we were really experiencing it! Lunch was served, with a spread of fresh seafood, sushi, curries, and everything in-between. After lunch we enjoyed a glass-bottomed boat trip, and then a semi-submersible boat trip. You could say we made the most of our day! We learned a lot during the day too, and left with amazing memories (and some pretty cool photos) of a lifetime.

Sunday saw us packing up in the drizzling rain, and then a short drive south to Townsville. We had a great catch up dinner with my Auntie Peggy (Mum's youngest sister), Uncle Trevor, and cousins Tammy and Ben and their families. Fresh NQ fish, and plenty of laughs!

We had two nights booked in Townsville, so Monday we enjoyed the Strand and it's gelatarias, pubs, water
park, rock pool, and some very interesting wartime history about the bombing of Townsville in 1942. As we stood imagining the terror the soldiers would have felt, we were treated to some spectacular fly-bys from a couple of FA-18s and an air-force helicopter. A very cool blend of the old with the new. On our way back to the caravan park, we took a drive past the house I lived in until I was 4...still recognisable as I remember it. More fresh fish for dinner, courtesy of Uncle Trevor, and some card games to finish. To top it all off, the sun made a rare appearance for the whole day, which we revelled in.

Today we packed up (you guessed, in the drizzling rain!) and headed to Airlie Beach. We detoured off the main drag through Bowen where Mum grew up, and found another "big icon", the big mango. The caravan park in Airlie is beautiful, and although the rain hasn't let up, the boys are having a ball in the pool and slides, doing what boys do best-yelling, running, throwing balls at each other, and plenty of laughing (interspersed with the occasional grazed knee and tear). Four or
five nights here, to fully take in the beautiful Whitsunday Islands and all the area has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement











Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb