City of Darwin
Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from City of Darwin
Blogs from City of Darwin
Latest Blogs from City of Darwin
- May 7th 2013 Darwin
by Words: 1265 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2013 In a while crocodile
by Words: 1220 Photos: 47
- April 13th 2013 Two weeks in Darwin – keeping the faith, feeling poorer than we've ever been, and getting extremely lucky...
by Words: 1226 Photos: 49
- January 20th 2013 Darwin,NorthernTerritory, Australia
by Words: 1136 Photos: 11
- October 15th 2012 Time in the Top End - Part 1
by Words: 3930 Photos: 28
- June 16th 2012 Nothing But Now
by Words: 118 Photos: 0
- May 2nd 2012 Exmouth to dawrin including flight horrors
by Words: 1437 Photos: 17
- February 27th 2012 Darwin and Kakadu National Park: Last Adventures in Oz (for now)
by Words: 1163 Photos: 62
- February 23rd 2012 MY FLAT.
by Words: 233 Photos: 6
- February 22nd 2012 38 hours flight - Arriving in Darwin
by Words: 221 Photos: 2
- December 14th 2011 Darwin
by Words: 244 Photos: 21
- December 7th 2011 Our time in Darwin and the Roadtrip to Katherine
by Words: 893 Photos: 5
- November 21st 2011 darwin....
by Words: 106 Photos: 0
- November 21st 2011 ....last day in Darwin
by Words: 91 Photos: 0
- November 19th 2011 .......disaster......but we are still smiling.
by Words: 246 Photos: 0
- October 23rd 2011 A Darwin Interlude
by Words: 659 Photos: 51
- October 13th 2011 Broome - Darwin: sweat, sweat and more sweat
by Words: 984 Photos: 0
- September 4th 2011 Deel 1: 4 tm 11 sept.
by Words: 1319 Photos: 0
- August 27th 2011 more Darwin
by Words: 250 Photos: 15
- August 25th 2011 Darwin!
by Words: 367 Photos: 45