Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Dubbo
Latest Blogs from Dubbo
- October 3rd 2013 2 days at Taronga Western Plains Zoo
by Words: 463 Photos: 14
- October 2nd 2013 Thank God for duct tape
by Words: 321 Photos: 1
- May 20th 2013 Day 3 Katoomba to Dubbo
by Words: 55 Photos: 8
- October 2nd 2012 Dubbo Zoo
by Words: 117 Photos: 9
- October 1st 2012 Dubbo
by Words: 48 Photos: 3
- April 10th 2012 Dubbo
by Words: 102 Photos: 2
- October 22nd 2011 "We're All Going To The Zoo Tomorrow!"
by Words: 2259 Photos: 32
- February 8th 2011 From Dubbo to Coolangatta
by Words: 856 Photos: 10
- January 30th 2009 Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come....
by Words: 688 Photos: 19
- January 22nd 2009 So-fari So Good
by Words: 1278 Photos: 18
- October 22nd 2008 Crossing a Continent (English Version)
by Words: 3001 Photos: 22
- October 22nd 2008 Crossing a Continent (deutsche Uebersetzung)
by Words: 2609 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2008 Central NSW. (Zoo, Gold! and Wineries)
by Words: 838 Photos: 35
- September 11th 2008 Farm work!
by Words: 63 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2008 Change of plans
by Words: 353 Photos: 15
- May 30th 2008 Mudgee to Lightning Ridge
by Words: 833 Photos: 17
- May 7th 2008 Hubbo in Dubbo
by Words: 25 Photos: 7
- May 4th 2008 So good to be home!
by Words: 69 Photos: 6
- March 25th 2008 A weekend in the country!
by Words: 413 Photos: 4
- June 1st 2007 heading south on back roads
by Words: 257 Photos: 2