Background: Britain's American colonies broke with the mother country in 1776 and were recognized as the new nation of the United States of America following the Treaty of Paris in 1783. During the 19th and 20th centuries, 37 new states were added to the original 13 as the nation expanded across the North American continent and acquired a number of overseas possessions. The two most traumatic experiences in the nation's history were the Civil War (1861-65) and the Great Depression of the 1930s. Buoyed by victories in World Wars I and II and the end of the Cold War in 1991, the US remains the world's most powerful nation state. The economy is marked by steady growth, low unemployment and inflation, and rapid advances in technology.
Photos from Washington
Blogs from Washington
Latest Blogs from Washington
- July 19th 2012 NYC Official Blog #4 - Washington DC
by Words: 123 Photos: 27
- November 1st 2011 Day 51 - Washington D.C.
by Words: 376 Photos: 0
- November 10th 2010 As the World Turns/How the World Changes
by Words: 743 Photos: 0
- October 2nd 2010 Being Busy is Good....
by Words: 1047 Photos: 0
- September 24th 2010 From Rockford IL to Washington DC via Northern IN
by Words: 1870 Photos: 40
- September 18th 2010 Taxation Without Representation?
by Words: 1330 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2010 Workin'
by Words: 2278 Photos: 0
- August 6th 2010 Ms. Unger Goes (or went) to Washington
by Words: 978 Photos: 12
- July 29th 2010 Washington, DC
by Words: 495 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2010 Welcome to Washington
by Words: 725 Photos: 21
- January 25th 2010 Day 14 - Washington DC
by Words: 681 Photos: 18
- January 23rd 2010 Goodbye paycheck
by Words: 443 Photos: 4
- January 7th 2010 On the road
by Words: 507 Photos: 13
- January 6th 2010 Party Crashing in DC
by Words: 137 Photos: 3
- December 21st 2009 Flight Delayed
by Words: 22 Photos: 1
- December 12th 2009 Day 15 - can't wait for a sleep in, but the president waits for nobody.
by Words: 569 Photos: 38
- November 28th 2009 Greyhound - und die Reise beginnt!
by Words: 191 Photos: 0
- November 28th 2009 Our real last day in D.C
by Words: 114 Photos: 9
- November 27th 2009 Nice mistake
by Words: 135 Photos: 1
- November 26th 2009 Thanks Giving Day
by Words: 70 Photos: 8