Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Blogs from Querétaro
Latest Blogs from Querétaro
- May 22nd 2012 Day 2
by Words: 595 Photos: 8
- May 21st 2012 Day 1
by Words: 403 Photos: 7
- March 17th 2012 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo y Marsia - 1012
by Words: 219 Photos: 52
- January 29th 2012 San Miguel de Allende!
by Words: 370 Photos: 1
- January 11th 2012 Lazy Day!
by Words: 158 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2012 Orientation Day - Tec de Monterrey
by Words: 286 Photos: 0
- January 3rd 2012 Hola Queretaro!
by Words: 422 Photos: 0
- December 12th 2011 Queretaro - Reflections After 6 months
by Words: 6466 Photos: 7
- January 21st 2011 Queretaro
by Words: 1242 Photos: 14
- January 9th 2011 Last Days Of Our Trip to Mexico 2011
by Words: 730 Photos: 61
- April 17th 2010 Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro
by Words: 4 Photos: 0
- January 14th 2010 Querétaro, QUERÉTARO.
by Words: 603 Photos: 21
- December 29th 2009 Bernal, QUERÉTARO.
by Words: 1064 Photos: 12
- May 8th 2009 Querétaro
by Words: 392 Photos: 3
- April 26th 2009 A brief stay in Querétaro and D.F.
by Words: 289 Photos: 1
- October 6th 2008 Rock on
by Words: 402 Photos: 8
- October 4th 2008 Gorditas, A Huge Rock, & Good Music
by Words: 1591 Photos: 21
- September 25th 2008 San Miguel de Allende
by Words: 4 Photos: 97
- September 17th 2008 voyage: villes coloniales 1. Querretaro
by Words: 20 Photos: 102
- September 16th 2008 Queretaro
by Words: 319 Photos: 5