Background: Lebanon has made progress toward rebuilding its political institutions since 1991 and the end of the devastating 15-year civil war. Under the Ta'if Accord - the blueprint for national reconciliation - the Lebanese have established a more equitable political system, particularly by giving Muslims a greater say in the political process while institutionalizing sectarian divisions in the government. Since the end of the war, the Lebanese have conducted several successful elections, most of the militias have been weakened or disbanded, and the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) have extended central government authority over about two-thirds of the country. Hizballah, a radical Shia organization, retains its weapons. During Lebanon's civil war, the Arab League legitimized in the Ta'if Accord Syria's troop deployment, numbering about 16,000 based mainly east of Beirut and in the Bekaa Valley. Damascus justified its continued military presence in Lebanon by citing Beirut's requests and the failure of the Lebanese Government to implement all of the constitutional reforms in the Ta'if Accord. Israel's withdrawal from southern Lebanon in May 2000, however, encouraged some Lebanese groups to demand that Syria withdraw its forces as well. The passage of UNSCR 1559 in early October 2004 - a resolution calling for Syria to withdraw from Lebanon and end its interference in Lebanese affairs - further emboldened Lebanese groups opposed to Syria's presence in Lebanon. Syria finally withdrew the remainder of its forces from Lebanon in April of 2005.
Photos from Baalbek
Blogs from Baalbek
Latest Blogs from Baalbek
- August 15th 2012 Hummus_life_reloaded_5
by Words: 298 Photos: 9
- April 12th 2011 War still lingers in Lebanon
by Words: 381 Photos: 6
- February 11th 2011 Are your Trip
by Words: 59 Photos: 1
- February 11th 2011 In the Area
by Words: 105 Photos: 2
- February 11th 2011 Particulary Day
by Words: 111 Photos: 1
- February 11th 2011 Accomodation
by Words: 47 Photos: 1
- February 11th 2011 Hello
by Words: 54 Photos: 1
- June 6th 2010 hummus_life11.
by Words: 534 Photos: 9
- June 5th 2010 hummus_life10.
by Words: 745 Photos: 10
- June 1st 2010 An indigestion of history
by Words: 1647 Photos: 25
- April 30th 2010 Baalbek and Bcharre
by Words: 438 Photos: 0
- April 9th 2010 The Land of Yoghurt
by Words: 789 Photos: 9
- July 25th 2009 Snow during wheat harvest?
by Words: 359 Photos: 4
- March 29th 2009 servees, mezze and Baalbek
by Words: 779 Photos: 10
- March 26th 2009 Ancient Rome still alive in Baalbek Lebanon!
by Words: 955 Photos: 46
- July 15th 2008 Baalbek, بعلبك
by Words: 151 Photos: 27
- August 8th 2007 Lebanon - The City of the Sun...
by Words: 2164 Photos: 42
- August 6th 2007 City of the Sun (Heliopolis)
by Words: 905 Photos: 37
- May 14th 2007 The Bekaa Valley
by Words: 519 Photos: 11
- January 21st 2007 Tyre Burning
by Words: 430 Photos: 9