Background: For most of its history since independence from British administration in 1946, Jordan was ruled by King HUSSEIN (1953-99). A pragmatic ruler, he successfully navigated competing pressures from the major powers (US, USSR, and UK), various Arab states, Israel, and a large internal Palestinian population, despite several wars and coup attempts. In 1989 he reinstituted parliamentary elections and gradual political liberalization; in 1994 he signed a formal peace treaty with Israel. King ABDALLAH II - the eldest son of King HUSSEIN and Princess MUNA - assumed the throne following his father's death in February 1999. Since then, he has consolidated his power and undertaken an aggressive economic reform program. Jordan acceded to the World Trade Organization in 2000, and began to participate in the European Free Trade Association in 2001. After a two-year delay, parliamentary and municipal elections took place in the summer of 2003. The Prime Minister and government appointed in April 2005 declared they would build upon the previous government's achievements to respect political and human rights and improve living standards.
Photos from South
Blogs from South
Latest Blogs from South
- November 5th 2013 Aqaba
by Words: 360 Photos: 21
- November 4th 2013 Wadi Rum: Of Oceans of Sand and Going Full Lawrence...
by Words: 961 Photos: 69
- November 3rd 2013 Petra: Of Amazing Sights, Surprises and Bbq'ing in a Cave...
by Words: 1568 Photos: 70
- October 25th 2013 "I love you, you love me, come back to my Beduoin cave for mint tea"
by Words: 3289 Photos: 16
- October 15th 2013 Day 4: Southwards via Kings Highway and Karak to Dana Biosphere Reserve
by Words: 1542 Photos: 17
- October 14th 2013 PETRA, JORDAN - DAY 12
by Words: 345 Photos: 14
- October 13th 2013 DRIVE TO PETRA, JORDAN
by Words: 414 Photos: 16
- October 2nd 2013 Ein Zimthuhn, ein Schatzhaus und eine Schießerei?
by Words: 1363 Photos: 12
- July 27th 2013 Petra - Monumental Graveyard!
by Words: 285 Photos: 24
- June 16th 2013 AQABA JORDAN
by Words: 497 Photos: 6
- May 18th 2013 THE DESERT AND THE DITCH
by Words: 616 Photos: 23
- May 15th 2013 Jordon to Israel on SS Voyager
by Words: 1738 Photos: 0
- May 7th 2013 Diving in the spectacular Red Sea, Safari driving with minors, absorbing the enchanting Petra and floating in the Dead Sea
by Words: 1804 Photos: 0
- May 5th 2013 Petra, Jordan
by Words: 558 Photos: 132
- May 5th 2013 Wadi-Rum
by Words: 392 Photos: 105
- May 3rd 2013 Petra and the Unexpected Adventures
by Words: 1452 Photos: 38
- May 2nd 2013 Jordan - first impressions and desert camping
by Words: 1280 Photos: 4
- May 1st 2013 Blame It on Peter O’Toole - Aqaba
by Words: 521 Photos: 29
- April 26th 2013 AQABA, JORDAN--Friday, April 26, 2013
by Words: 900 Photos: 20
- March 20th 2013 Jordan
by Words: 719 Photos: 6