Background: For most of its history since independence from British administration in 1946, Jordan was ruled by King HUSSEIN (1953-99). A pragmatic ruler, he successfully navigated competing pressures from the major powers (US, USSR, and UK), various Arab states, Israel, and a large internal Palestinian population, despite several wars and coup attempts. In 1989 he reinstituted parliamentary elections and gradual political liberalization; in 1994 he signed a formal peace treaty with Israel. King ABDALLAH II - the eldest son of King HUSSEIN and Princess MUNA - assumed the throne following his father's death in February 1999. Since then, he has consolidated his power and undertaken an aggressive economic reform program. Jordan acceded to the World Trade Organization in 2000, and began to participate in the European Free Trade Association in 2001. After a two-year delay, parliamentary and municipal elections took place in the summer of 2003. The Prime Minister and government appointed in April 2005 declared they would build upon the previous government's achievements to respect political and human rights and improve living standards.
Photos from Petra
Blogs from Petra
Latest Blogs from Petra
- February 11th 2014 Jordan so far Feb 14
by Words: 1235 Photos: 32
- January 5th 2014 Jordan-The calm cul-de-sac in a rough neighbourhood.
by Words: 3323 Photos: 27
- December 18th 2013 Majesty in the Mountains
by Words: 745 Photos: 0
- November 3rd 2013 Petra: Of Amazing Sights, Surprises and Bbq'ing in a Cave...
by Words: 1568 Photos: 70
- October 25th 2013 "I love you, you love me, come back to my Beduoin cave for mint tea"
by Words: 3289 Photos: 16
- October 16th 2013 Day 5: Hiking in Dana Biosphere Reserve, Little Petra & Petra by Night
by Words: 2337 Photos: 22
- October 14th 2013 PETRA, JORDAN - DAY 12
by Words: 345 Photos: 14
- October 13th 2013 DRIVE TO PETRA, JORDAN
by Words: 414 Photos: 16
- October 2nd 2013 Ein Zimthuhn, ein Schatzhaus und eine Schießerei?
by Words: 1363 Photos: 12
- July 27th 2013 Petra - Monumental Graveyard!
by Words: 285 Photos: 24
- May 7th 2013 Diving in the spectacular Red Sea, Safari driving with minors, absorbing the enchanting Petra and floating in the Dead Sea
by Words: 1804 Photos: 0
- May 5th 2013 Petra, Jordan
by Words: 558 Photos: 132
- May 3rd 2013 Petra and the Unexpected Adventures
by Words: 1452 Photos: 38
- March 20th 2013 Jordan
by Words: 719 Photos: 6
- January 31st 2013 Petra in the rain
by Words: 750 Photos: 11
- January 30th 2013 Little Petra
by Words: 1066 Photos: 10
- January 21st 2013 Petra, Jordan
by Words: 507 Photos: 73
- December 18th 2012 A glance at Petra
by Words: 588 Photos: 8
- December 6th 2012 Where is Your Mother?
by Words: 584 Photos: 47
- October 11th 2012 Petra - Jordan
by Words: 875 Photos: 55