Background: For most of its history since independence from British administration in 1946, Jordan was ruled by King HUSSEIN (1953-99). A pragmatic ruler, he successfully navigated competing pressures from the major powers (US, USSR, and UK), various Arab states, Israel, and a large internal Palestinian population, despite several wars and coup attempts. In 1989 he reinstituted parliamentary elections and gradual political liberalization; in 1994 he signed a formal peace treaty with Israel. King ABDALLAH II - the eldest son of King HUSSEIN and Princess MUNA - assumed the throne following his father's death in February 1999. Since then, he has consolidated his power and undertaken an aggressive economic reform program. Jordan acceded to the World Trade Organization in 2000, and began to participate in the European Free Trade Association in 2001. After a two-year delay, parliamentary and municipal elections took place in the summer of 2003. The Prime Minister and government appointed in April 2005 declared they would build upon the previous government's achievements to respect political and human rights and improve living standards.
Photos from Jordan
Blogs from Jordan
Latest Blogs from Jordan
- December 12th 2013 New Friendships
by Words: 337 Photos: 0
- November 29th 2013 Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan!
by Words: 1737 Photos: 55
- November 5th 2013 Aqaba
by Words: 360 Photos: 21
- November 5th 2013 Bobbing like a Cork in the Dead Sea
by Words: 444 Photos: 9
- November 5th 2013 Strolling Ancient Roman Streets in Jerash
by Words: 531 Photos: 30
- November 4th 2013 Wadi Rum: Of Oceans of Sand and Going Full Lawrence...
by Words: 961 Photos: 69
- November 3rd 2013 Petra: Of Amazing Sights, Surprises and Bbq'ing in a Cave...
by Words: 1568 Photos: 70
- October 31st 2013 Amman
by Words: 753 Photos: 12
- October 25th 2013 "I love you, you love me, come back to my Beduoin cave for mint tea"
by Words: 3289 Photos: 16
- October 20th 2013 Marriage, cheek kisses and strong hands in the danger zone
by Words: 2185 Photos: 19
- October 15th 2013 AMMAN JORDAN - DAY 13 - FINAL DAY
by Words: 224 Photos: 10
- October 15th 2013 Day 4: Southwards via Kings Highway and Karak to Dana Biosphere Reserve
by Words: 1542 Photos: 17
- October 15th 2013 Jordan
by Words: 8 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2013 Day 3: The Roman City Jerash & shopping in Madaba
by Words: 1658 Photos: 16
- October 14th 2013 PETRA, JORDAN - DAY 12
by Words: 345 Photos: 14
- October 13th 2013 DRIVE TO PETRA, JORDAN
by Words: 414 Photos: 16
- October 13th 2013 Day 2: Mosaics and Christianity in Madaba & Mount Nebo and Floating in the Dead See
by Words: 1426 Photos: 21
- October 12th 2013 JERASH AND DEAD SEA RESORT, JORDAN - DAY 10
by Words: 377 Photos: 17
- October 12th 2013 Day 1: My first Flight!
by Words: 712 Photos: 12
- October 2nd 2013 Ein Zimthuhn, ein Schatzhaus und eine Schießerei?
by Words: 1363 Photos: 12