Background: For most of its history since independence from British administration in 1946, Jordan was ruled by King HUSSEIN (1953-99). A pragmatic ruler, he successfully navigated competing pressures from the major powers (US, USSR, and UK), various Arab states, Israel, and a large internal Palestinian population, despite several wars and coup attempts. In 1989 he reinstituted parliamentary elections and gradual political liberalization; in 1994 he signed a formal peace treaty with Israel. King ABDALLAH II - the eldest son of King HUSSEIN and Princess MUNA - assumed the throne following his father's death in February 1999. Since then, he has consolidated his power and undertaken an aggressive economic reform program. Jordan acceded to the World Trade Organization in 2000, and began to participate in the European Free Trade Association in 2001. After a two-year delay, parliamentary and municipal elections took place in the summer of 2003. The Prime Minister and government appointed in April 2005 declared they would build upon the previous government's achievements to respect political and human rights and improve living standards.
Photos from Jordan
Blogs from Jordan
Latest Blogs from Jordan
- February 19th 2014 Jordan & Jerusalem: January 2014
by Words: 7061 Photos: 215
- February 15th 2014 Jordan - the rest
by Words: 1456 Photos: 23
- February 11th 2014 Jordan so far Feb 14
by Words: 1235 Photos: 32
- January 5th 2014 Jordan-The calm cul-de-sac in a rough neighbourhood.
by Words: 3323 Photos: 27
- December 31st 2013 My First Guest Post: Uncovering the Shores of Aqaba
by Words: 982 Photos: 0
- December 22nd 2013 Jordan - Amman
by Words: 999 Photos: 0
- December 22nd 2013 Our man in Amman
by Words: 399 Photos: 0
- December 18th 2013 Majesty in the Mountains
by Words: 745 Photos: 0
- December 17th 2013 History Revisited
by Words: 164 Photos: 0
- December 16th 2013 Walking in History
by Words: 393 Photos: 0
- December 15th 2013 Slogging Through the Snow
by Words: 318 Photos: 0
- December 14th 2013 Deserted Desert
by Words: 506 Photos: 134
- December 13th 2013 All Hail Old Aqaba!
by Words: 403 Photos: 83
- December 12th 2013 Surprise Encounters
by Words: 398 Photos: 31
- November 29th 2013 Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan!
by Words: 1737 Photos: 55
- November 5th 2013 Aqaba
by Words: 360 Photos: 21
- November 5th 2013 Bobbing like a Cork in the Dead Sea
by Words: 444 Photos: 9
- November 5th 2013 Strolling Ancient Roman Streets in Jerash
by Words: 531 Photos: 30
- November 4th 2013 Wadi Rum: Of Oceans of Sand and Going Full Lawrence...
by Words: 961 Photos: 69
- November 3rd 2013 Petra: Of Amazing Sights, Surprises and Bbq'ing in a Cave...
by Words: 1568 Photos: 70