Background: For most of its history since independence from British administration in 1946, Jordan was ruled by King HUSSEIN (1953-99). A pragmatic ruler, he successfully navigated competing pressures from the major powers (US, USSR, and UK), various Arab states, Israel, and a large internal Palestinian population, despite several wars and coup attempts. In 1989 he reinstituted parliamentary elections and gradual political liberalization; in 1994 he signed a formal peace treaty with Israel. King ABDALLAH II - the eldest son of King HUSSEIN and Princess MUNA - assumed the throne following his father's death in February 1999. Since then, he has consolidated his power and undertaken an aggressive economic reform program. Jordan acceded to the World Trade Organization in 2000, and began to participate in the European Free Trade Association in 2001. After a two-year delay, parliamentary and municipal elections took place in the summer of 2003. The Prime Minister and government appointed in April 2005 declared they would build upon the previous government's achievements to respect political and human rights and improve living standards.
Photos from Madaba
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Madaba
Latest Blogs from Madaba
- October 10th 2012 Bethany beyond the Jordan, Mt. Nebo, Madaba, Shawbak Castle to Petra
by Words: 432 Photos: 32
- April 12th 2012 Madaba and the Dead Sea
by Words: 275 Photos: 0
- January 11th 2012 Madaba and Mt. Nebo
by Words: 464 Photos: 8
- March 5th 2011 Jordan - Welcome!
by Words: 1456 Photos: 6
- November 14th 2010 Madaba
by Words: 98 Photos: 8
- November 14th 2010 Mount Nebo
by Words: 106 Photos: 5
- July 30th 2010 Mount Nebo-Through the eyes of Moses
by Words: 568 Photos: 4
- July 22nd 2010 Petra to madaba
by Words: 868 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2010 Mosaics, Catholics, Beer and the Dead Sea - Madaba
by Words: 1130 Photos: 5
- April 19th 2010 Karak, Dead Sea and Madaba
by Words: 261 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2010 Fred and Van escape again!
by Words: 946 Photos: 6
- January 30th 2010 More of a marathon than I bargained for
by Words: 1517 Photos: 12
- October 12th 2009 Madaba, Jordan 2009
by Words: 177 Photos: 19
- September 25th 2009 Finding Nebo
by Words: 747 Photos: 5
- June 30th 2009 Who wants some Jordan??
by Words: 544 Photos: 7
- January 10th 2009 Madaba
by Words: 152 Photos: 50
- November 5th 2008 Between Iraq and a hard place, that'll be Jordan
by Words: 970 Photos: 12
- September 18th 2008 The Promised Land...
by Words: 113 Photos: 3
- September 5th 2008 Madaba - Mount Nebo and The Holy Land
by Words: 255 Photos: 1
- September 5th 2008 Talking to myself...
by Words: 194 Photos: 0