Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Dundee
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Dundee
Latest Blogs from Dundee
- June 6th 2012 Before the off!
by Words: 205 Photos: 1
- April 6th 2012 Good Friday update
by Words: 1076 Photos: 21
- December 6th 2011 Afternoon Dee Light
by Words: 9 Photos: 42
- September 21st 2011 Sept 21/11
by Words: 363 Photos: 0
- September 22nd 2010 When the summer's over and the dark clouds hide the sun
by Words: 81 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2009 In the footsteps of my father
by Words: 1778 Photos: 6
- May 24th 2009 Workshop in Dundee, fun in Edinburgh
by Words: 470 Photos: 3
- May 13th 2009 Iona
by Words: 360 Photos: 0
- August 12th 2008 Tag 71: Carnoustie - Auchtermuchty
by Words: 224 Photos: 4
- June 27th 2008 P.S. I Love Ireland!
by Words: 831 Photos: 18
- May 12th 2008 The Norway plan and the test run to Ballater...
by Words: 1693 Photos: 13
- April 11th 2008 Hey
by Words: 17 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2008 Nearly there!
by Words: 258 Photos: 0
- February 15th 2008 Getting set up!
by Words: 64 Photos: 1
- August 16th 2007 '>Back in Blighty, and goodbye from this blog for the time being
by Words: 3 Photos: 0
- May 20th 2007 leaving soon!
by Words: 2 Photos: 1
- May 6th 2007 MARCH/APRIL 2007 IN THAILAND: BANGKOK, HUA HIN, PHANG NGA, PHUKET, PHI PHI, KOH LANTA AND RAILEY
by Words: 615 Photos: 23
- April 2nd 2007 Mission Phoques !!!
by Words: 240 Photos: 19
- March 31st 2007 SoirÃ©e au dÃ©but des vacances
by Words: 96 Photos: 9
- February 3rd 2007 Series of birthdays !
by Words: 37 Photos: 60