Background: A military power during the 17th century, Sweden has not participated in any war in almost two centuries. An armed neutrality was preserved in both World Wars. Sweden's long-successful economic formula of a capitalist system interlarded with substantial welfare elements was challenged in the 1990s by high unemployment and in 2000-02 by the global economic downturn, but fiscal discipline over the past several years has allowed the country to weather economic vagaries. Indecision over the country's role in the political and economic integration of Europe delayed Sweden's entry into the EU until 1995, and waived the introduction of the euro in 1999.
Photos from Karlstad
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Karlstad
Latest Blogs from Karlstad
- May 20th 2012 Karlstad and a couple of nature reserves
by Words: 67 Photos: 34
- March 16th 2008 From Karlstad to Trollhattan
by Words: 999 Photos: 19
- March 16th 2008 Boyer's entry...
by Words: 283 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2008 Zuzu from Trollhattan
by Words: 706 Photos: 0
- March 14th 2008 Karlstad news
by Words: 18 Photos: 0
- March 14th 2008 Whoops!
by Words: 46 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2008 Update from Karlstad
by Words: 938 Photos: 64
- February 5th 2007 My Room
by Words: 79 Photos: 18
- February 5th 2007 New Pictures, and a little update
by Words: 319 Photos: 5
- February 2nd 2007 Canadian to Karlstad
by Words: 49 Photos: 8
- January 29th 2007 Finally, a second entry!
by Words: 470 Photos: 14
- January 15th 2007 Arrival in Karlstad
by Words: 511 Photos: 5