Background: Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor EMMANUEL II. An era of parliamentary government came to a close in the early 1920s when Benito MUSSOLINI established a Fascist dictatorship. His disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany led to Italy's defeat in World War II. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed. Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community (EEC). It has been at the forefront of European economic and political unification, joining the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999. Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and the low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
Photos from Parma
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Parma
Latest Blogs from Parma
- September 4th 2012 Lost, well not totally lost
by Words: 368 Photos: 5
- May 7th 2012 Oh my Parma!
by Words: 684 Photos: 0
- September 19th 2011 Lucky breaks today
by Words: 329 Photos: 11
- July 1st 2011 My Last Week in Parma
by Words: 647 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2010 Garda to Parma
by Words: 62 Photos: 0
- June 24th 2009 Things to do in Parma
by Words: 98 Photos: 5
- January 18th 2009 Italy!
by Words: 751 Photos: 42
- October 23rd 2008 A Night at the Opera
by Words: 327 Photos: 6
- July 7th 2008 Croatia, the Alps, France, Italy...
by Words: 909 Photos: 17
- April 11th 2008 Driving in the Rain
by Words: 570 Photos: 7
- February 17th 2008 Partita di Calcio!!! (soccer game)
by Words: 250 Photos: 6
- February 9th 2008 Bounce Back
by Words: 235 Photos: 0
- February 9th 2008 A letter to all of you <3
by Words: 1626 Photos: 0
- February 7th 2008 Culture Shock
by Words: 242 Photos: 0
- February 1st 2008 Pizza and XXL
by Words: 322 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2008 Some pics from my scavenger hunt
by Words: 104 Photos: 8
- January 28th 2008 Aperitivi
by Words: 279 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2008 Oh how I love Jet lag but here are some Pictures!
by Words: 404 Photos: 5
- January 25th 2008 ITALIA!!
by Words: 464 Photos: 0
- August 1st 2007 Parma, mmm...cheese
by Words: 743 Photos: 0