Background: As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed Germany in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC, which became the EU, and NATO, while the Communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then, Germany has expended considerable funds to bring Eastern productivity and wages up to Western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries introduced a common European exchange currency, the euro.
Photos from Bacharach
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bacharach
Latest Blogs from Bacharach
- July 26th 2012 River Cruises, Ruins, and dozens of Castles
by Words: 473 Photos: 11
- July 8th 2012 Correction for Yesterday
by Words: 52 Photos: 1
- July 3rd 2012 Today the Rhine, tomorrow Paris
by Words: 289 Photos: 10
- July 2nd 2012 Day One
by Words: 231 Photos: 8
- March 19th 2012 Unplanned day turns into unexpected adventure!
by Words: 992 Photos: 0
- May 14th 2011 Eurotrip 2011 – Heidelberg & Bacharach, 8-10 May
by Words: 286 Photos: 49
- June 27th 2010 My fairytale town
by Words: 450 Photos: 55
- April 4th 2010 Onward to Germany and thru the Rhine!
by Words: 114 Photos: 5
- July 12th 2009 Rhein valley cruising and castle climbing
by Words: 303 Photos: 9
- July 11th 2009 Travel to Bacharach
by Words: 91 Photos: 4
- July 11th 2009 Bacharach
by Words: 154 Photos: 13
- July 11th 2009 Burg Stahlek
by Words: 71 Photos: 5
- May 3rd 2009 The one thing I learned from the Rocky Horror Picture Show....
by Words: 982 Photos: 25
- April 12th 2009 Germany Day 1
by Words: 507 Photos: 13
- August 29th 2008 I think this is the Rhine cruise in Germany
by Words: 495 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2008 A taxing we will go ...
by Words: 578 Photos: 0
- May 8th 2008 Paradise on the Rhein
by Words: 48 Photos: 41
- August 13th 2007 Wine on the Rhein!
by Words: 771 Photos: 16
- July 6th 2007 Better than Disneyland...no electricity required
by Words: 659 Photos: 3
- March 21st 2007 Bavaria and the Rhine
by Words: 2736 Photos: 0