Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Photos from Chamonix
Blogs from Chamonix
Latest Blogs from Chamonix
- September 3rd 2013 Chamonix in the Summer
by Words: 785 Photos: 36
- June 10th 2013 Chamonix
by Words: 1533 Photos: 23
- February 8th 2013 Rêves Blancs
by Words: 1707 Photos: 12
- May 25th 2011 Austria and Paris
by Words: 1329 Photos: 6
- August 14th 2010 Les Alps...
by Words: 2162 Photos: 0
- May 1st 2010 Summer Skiing in the Rain!
by Words: 778 Photos: 11
- September 18th 2009 Chamonix
by Words: 2915 Photos: 63
- September 11th 2009 Chamonix-Mont Blanc
by Words: 1573 Photos: 56
- July 26th 2009 Alpine Adventures begin..
by Words: 745 Photos: 22
- June 30th 2009 Walking in the mountains
by Words: 336 Photos: 6
- May 19th 2009 Morning in Chamonix
by Words: 16 Photos: 7
- May 18th 2009 Destination Monaco, second stop: Chamonix
by Words: 138 Photos: 22
- May 1st 2009 Just keep driving!
by Words: 667 Photos: 4
- April 12th 2009 Conquering old fears on the French Alps!
by Words: 1588 Photos: 6
- March 29th 2009 Totally Chammered!
by Words: 573 Photos: 3
- March 16th 2009 Snowboarding with Style
by Words: 778 Photos: 16
- March 14th 2009 Chamonix - sending Mossikins off in style!
by Words: 1069 Photos: 8
- February 8th 2009 Ski Trip
by Words: 930 Photos: 92
- January 3rd 2009 On snowshoes into the new year...
by Words: 74 Photos: 9
- January 2nd 2009 Chamonix Christmas!
by Words: 608 Photos: 2