Background: Following the First World War, the closely related Czechs and Slovaks of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire merged to form Czechoslovakia. During the interwar years, the new country's leaders were frequently preoccupied with meeting the demands of other ethnic minorities within the republic, most notably the Sudeten Germans and the Ruthenians (Ukrainians). After World War II, a truncated Czechoslovakia fell within the Soviet sphere of influence. In 1968, an invasion by Warsaw Pact troops ended the efforts of the country's leaders to liberalize Communist party rule and create "socialism with a human face." Anti-Soviet demonstrations the following year ushered in a period of harsh repression. With the collapse of Soviet authority in 1989, Czechoslovakia regained its freedom through a peaceful "Velvet Revolution." On 1 January 1993, the country underwent a "velvet divorce" into its two national components, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The Czech Republic joined NATO in 1999 and the European Union in 2004.
Photos from Cesky Krumlov
Blogs from Cesky Krumlov
Latest Blogs from Cesky Krumlov
- September 24th 2012 Leaving Cesky :(
by Words: 480 Photos: 10
- September 23rd 2012 Checking out Cesky!
by Words: 789 Photos: 31
- July 3rd 2012 bye Prague we are heading south
by Words: 807 Photos: 17
- May 13th 2012 Czech out Cesky Krumlov, but bear-ware the mead!
by Words: 1308 Photos: 4
- November 20th 2011 Autumn Awakens
by Words: 523 Photos: 17
- June 29th 2011 Český Krumlov – River Vltava
by Words: 485 Photos: 8
- June 8th 2011 Cesky Krumlov (more photos)
by Words: 99 Photos: 18
- June 8th 2011 Cesky Krumlov, now this is a beautiful place!
by Words: 923 Photos: 19
- February 7th 2011 Český Krumlov
by Words: 36 Photos: 272
- November 10th 2010 An Idyllic Setting and a Series of Fortunate Events
by Words: 1119 Photos: 19
- August 29th 2010 plsen/Cesky Krumlov/Cedky Budejovice
by Words: 58 Photos: 63
- July 13th 2010 Yet another Castle.....but still not sick of them
by Words: 413 Photos: 18
- July 12th 2010 Time to Czech In
by Words: 473 Photos: 0
- June 7th 2010 Cesky Krumlov
by Words: 65 Photos: 65
- June 7th 2010 Czech Part 2 - Cesky Krumlov - Friends, adventure and castles
by Words: 621 Photos: 13
- April 12th 2010 Cesky Krumlov - A must visit
by Words: 422 Photos: 13
- March 11th 2010 KrumLOVE!
by Words: 626 Photos: 41
- March 9th 2010 I Love Cesky Krumlov
by Words: 394 Photos: 18
- March 8th 2010 Where's the bears in Cesky Krumlov?
by Words: 1025 Photos: 15
- March 8th 2010 What Bears?!?!?!
by Words: 235 Photos: 2