Background: With US backing, Panama seceded from Colombia in 1903 and promptly signed a treaty with the US allowing for the construction of a canal and US sovereignty over a strip of land on either side of the structure (the Panama Canal Zone). The Panama Canal was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1904 and 1914. On 7 September 1977, an agreement was signed for the complete transfer of the Canal from the US to Panama by the end of 1999. Certain portions of the Zone and increasing responsibility over the Canal were turned over in the intervening years. With US help, dictator Manuel NORIEGA was deposed in 1989. The entire Panama Canal, the area supporting the Canal, and remaining US military bases were turned over to Panama by or on 31 December 1999.
Photos from Panama City
Blogs from Panama City
Latest Blogs from Panama City
- February 23rd 2013 Brash Panama
by Words: 522 Photos: 4
- February 17th 2013 A Man A Plan A Canal Panama
by Words: 3583 Photos: 45
- February 6th 2013 Blah Blah Blah, Carnival & Wait For It...The Canal!
by Words: 2236 Photos: 10
- January 30th 2013 Mexico City to Panama City, December 8, 2012 - January 30, 2013
by Words: 2704 Photos: 67
- January 29th 2013 Panama City and the San Blas Islands
by Words: 662 Photos: 6
- January 20th 2013 Carribean Coast & on to Ecuador
by Words: 1532 Photos: 44
- December 22nd 2012 The Miami of the south...indeed
by Words: 318 Photos: 105
- December 12th 2012 Yes, we're still alive...
by Words: 1913 Photos: 18
- December 2nd 2012 Panama and crossing the Darien Gap
by Words: 2388 Photos: 22
- November 23rd 2012 Panama...on the way to more diving...
by Words: 561 Photos: 19
- November 10th 2012 Panama to El Salvador to LA to FIji - a whilstle stop tour!
by Words: 251 Photos: 16
- October 25th 2012 Panama City, Panama
by Words: 717 Photos: 56
- October 24th 2012 Travel Time!
by Words: 1148 Photos: 1
- September 1st 2012 Panama
by Words: 1580 Photos: 25
- August 11th 2012 This is Panama!
by Words: 449 Photos: 8
- August 9th 2012 I have arrived.. a little worse for wear
by Words: 492 Photos: 9
- August 8th 2012 NO FEAR.. Born for THIS!
by Words: 235 Photos: 1
- July 24th 2012 Panama City - the first stop on our Latin American Jaunt
by Words: 3392 Photos: 29
- July 23rd 2012 Tramps in Trump´s
by Words: 556 Photos: 11
- July 19th 2012 A Trip Down Memory Lane - Panama City
by Words: 1142 Photos: 26