Background: The Pacific Coast of Nicaragua was settled as a Spanish colony from Panama in the early 16th century. Independence from Spain was declared in 1821 and the country became an independent republic in 1838. Britain occupied the Caribbean Coast in the first half of the 19th century, but gradually ceded control of the region in subsequent decades. Violent opposition to governmental manipulation and corruption spread to all classes by 1978 and resulted in a short-lived civil war that brought the Marxist Sandinista guerrillas to power in 1979. Nicaraguan aid to leftist rebels in El Salvador caused the US to sponsor anti-Sandinista contra guerrillas through much of the 1980s. Free elections in 1990, 1996, and again in 2001 saw the Sandinistas defeated. The country has slowly rebuilt its economy during the 1990s, but was hard hit by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.
Photos from Granada
Blogs from Granada
Latest Blogs from Granada
- May 8th 2013 Day 32: Kayaking and Massages in Granada
by Words: 1744 Photos: 26
- April 2nd 2013 Las Isletas
by Words: 190 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2013 Food Poisoning In Granada
by Words: 634 Photos: 0
- January 1st 2013 Volcano Countries!
by Words: 1132 Photos: 48
- December 16th 2012 The rest of the story…..Nicaragua
by Words: 920 Photos: 21
- December 14th 2012 Five down… two to go! (Wish we had 20 more!)
by Words: 2321 Photos: 25
- November 17th 2012 Nicaragua
by Words: 2941 Photos: 22
- September 18th 2012 Granada; Caballos y Monos!
by Words: 1508 Photos: 19
- August 15th 2012 Jonny....la gente esta muy loca.
by Words: 320 Photos: 9
- August 5th 2012 Granada
by Words: 2727 Photos: 64
- July 4th 2012 Moi?- Now?- ¡No!
by Words: 304 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2012 The Folks That Make it Happen
by Words: 466 Photos: 6
- May 9th 2012 True Confessions in Granada
by Words: 805 Photos: 10
- May 8th 2012 Pufferfish, North to Nicaragua and busted flat
by Words: 464 Photos: 19
- April 28th 2012 Summer Arrives in Granada
by Words: 1108 Photos: 21
- April 26th 2012 Disaster Strikes: Nicaragua Day Trip Part Two
by Words: 2837 Photos: 4
- April 17th 2012 Far from Home - Granada, Nicaragua
by Words: 888 Photos: 13
- April 17th 2012 Part One: Nicaragua - Fun Daytrip turns into Nightmare
by Words: 1911 Photos: 11
- March 29th 2012 The highlight of our 6 countries in 6 days..... Granada.
by Words: 1742 Photos: 7
- February 23rd 2012 Honey I don't think we are in Kansas anymore
by Words: 914 Photos: 2