Background: The Pacific Coast of Nicaragua was settled as a Spanish colony from Panama in the early 16th century. Independence from Spain was declared in 1821 and the country became an independent republic in 1838. Britain occupied the Caribbean Coast in the first half of the 19th century, but gradually ceded control of the region in subsequent decades. Violent opposition to governmental manipulation and corruption spread to all classes by 1978 and resulted in a short-lived civil war that brought the Marxist Sandinista guerrillas to power in 1979. Nicaraguan aid to leftist rebels in El Salvador caused the US to sponsor anti-Sandinista contra guerrillas through much of the 1980s. Free elections in 1990, 1996, and again in 2001 saw the Sandinistas defeated. The country has slowly rebuilt its economy during the 1990s, but was hard hit by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.
Photos from Nicaragua
Blogs from Nicaragua
Latest Blogs from Nicaragua
- February 28th 2014 Central America High Points Part 3: Nearly Snubbed on Pico Mogotón
by Words: 2548 Photos: 52
- February 21st 2014 El Rama
by Words: 293 Photos: 0
- February 19th 2014 Cocibolca
by Words: 2069 Photos: 36
- February 18th 2014 San Juan Del Nicaragua/Norte/Greytown
by Words: 421 Photos: 0
- February 15th 2014 El Castillo
by Words: 283 Photos: 0
- February 13th 2014 San Carlos
by Words: 188 Photos: 0
- January 24th 2014 San Juan Del Sur
by Words: 519 Photos: 0
- January 16th 2014 Granada
by Words: 473 Photos: 0
- January 14th 2014 Las Penitas
by Words: 192 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2014 Leon
by Words: 318 Photos: 0
- January 8th 2014 Arriving in Managua
by Words: 263 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2013 Ron y Cerveza: En el claro - Parte Dos
by Words: 8022 Photos: 54
- December 10th 2013 HOORAY for Nicaragua
by Words: 684 Photos: 19
- December 10th 2013 Managua!
by Words: 306 Photos: 22
- December 5th 2013 Granada and onto Masaya Nicaragua.
by Words: 377 Photos: 16
- December 3rd 2013 Rum and Beer: In the Clear
by Words: 5823 Photos: 58
- December 2nd 2013 Reggae party in Leon and Granada!
by Words: 158 Photos: 11
- November 30th 2013 Leon!
by Words: 385 Photos: 27
- November 28th 2013 Ocotal,Esteli and Leon
by Words: 421 Photos: 7
- November 26th 2013 Nicaragua early!
by Words: 311 Photos: 0