Background: The Pacific Coast of Nicaragua was settled as a Spanish colony from Panama in the early 16th century. Independence from Spain was declared in 1821 and the country became an independent republic in 1838. Britain occupied the Caribbean Coast in the first half of the 19th century, but gradually ceded control of the region in subsequent decades. Violent opposition to governmental manipulation and corruption spread to all classes by 1978 and resulted in a short-lived civil war that brought the Marxist Sandinista guerrillas to power in 1979. Nicaraguan aid to leftist rebels in El Salvador caused the US to sponsor anti-Sandinista contra guerrillas through much of the 1980s. Free elections in 1990, 1996, and again in 2001 saw the Sandinistas defeated. The country has slowly rebuilt its economy during the 1990s, but was hard hit by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.
Photos from Nicaragua
Blogs from Nicaragua
Latest Blogs from Nicaragua
- December 10th 2013 HOORAY for Nicaragua
by Words: 684 Photos: 19
- December 5th 2013 Granada and onto Masaya Nicaragua.
by Words: 377 Photos: 16
- December 3rd 2013 Rum and Beer: In the Clear
by Words: 5823 Photos: 58
- December 2nd 2013 Reggae party in Leon and Granada!
by Words: 158 Photos: 11
- November 30th 2013 Leon!
by Words: 385 Photos: 27
- November 28th 2013 Ocotal,Esteli and Leon
by Words: 421 Photos: 7
- November 26th 2013 Nicaragua early!
by Words: 311 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2013 Electric storms, flirting with Jamaica and the San Blas. Part I of II.
by Words: 6886 Photos: 40
- November 9th 2013 Little Corn Island, Nicaragua
by Words: 1437 Photos: 8
- October 27th 2013 Isla de Ometepe: Climb a Volcano, bucket list tick!
by Words: 1347 Photos: 26
- October 18th 2013 San Juan del Sur: I've got them Flor de Caña Blues...
by Words: 1150 Photos: 12
- September 22nd 2013 Tag 59 Granada -> San Juan el Sur Nikaragua 105 km
by Words: 233 Photos: 0
- September 21st 2013 Nicaragua – how about you strap this wooden plank to your feet and board down this active volcano...
by Words: 2158 Photos: 10
- September 21st 2013 Tag 58 Samstag Danli Honduras nach Granada/Nikaragua 325 km
by Words: 187 Photos: 0
- September 16th 2013 Granada, Nicaragua
by Words: 608 Photos: 10
- September 16th 2013 San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
by Words: 307 Photos: 20
- September 12th 2013 Ometepe, Nicaragua
by Words: 1165 Photos: 21
- September 11th 2013 San Carlos, Nicaragua
by Words: 474 Photos: 25
- September 11th 2013 Solentiname Archipelago, Nicaragua
by Words: 400 Photos: 18
- August 6th 2013 6 Months in - Travel Rant
by Words: 690 Photos: 0