Lago de Atitlán
Background: The Maya civilization flourished in Guatemala and surrounding regions during the first millennium A.D. After almost three centuries as a Spanish colony, Guatemala won its independence in 1821. During the second half of the 20th century, it experienced a variety of military and civilian governments as well as a 36-year guerrilla war. In 1996, the government signed a peace agreement formally ending the conflict, which had left more than 100,000 people dead and had created some 1 million refugees.
Blogs from Lago de Atitlán
Latest Blogs from Lago de Atitlán
- November 26th 2013 Weaving with Ants
by Words: 232 Photos: 6
- November 16th 2013 In Ceremony with Don Pedro
by Words: 348 Photos: 6
- June 22nd 2013 Quetzaltenango to Atitlan
by Words: 353 Photos: 8
- June 22nd 2013 San Pedro, Lago Atitlan
by Words: 969 Photos: 12
- March 10th 2013 Adventure .1 - Monkeys, Mountains and Mayan Myths
by Words: 1138 Photos: 0
- March 8th 2013 Adios, Atitlán
by Words: 338 Photos: 8
- March 6th 2013 Maximón
by Words: 1184 Photos: 10
- March 5th 2013 Blog 6: Lake Atitlan, "the most beautiful lake in the world"
by Words: 696 Photos: 7
- February 27th 2013 Guatemala
by Words: 564 Photos: 6
- January 5th 2013 Semuc Champey, Antigua, Lake Attitlan
by Words: 1098 Photos: 25
- January 5th 2013 Zip-line Update
by Words: 30 Photos: 4
- December 7th 2012 Getting our heal on in San Marcos...
by Words: 983 Photos: 2
- December 5th 2012 The newlyweds take Santa Cruz by storm. Well, sort of.
by Words: 950 Photos: 17
- November 14th 2012 One last day among the three volcanos... and the people that make them so special.
by Words: 576 Photos: 23
- November 13th 2012 Santiago... your simplistic beauty will be forever in our hearts.
by Words: 1125 Photos: 27
- November 12th 2012 From paradise to paradise...
by Words: 378 Photos: 34
- August 7th 2012 Relaxation, yoga and shoppingg!
by Words: 433 Photos: 16
- June 16th 2012 Lake swimming, sweat lodges and hot men that i don't...
by Words: 1221 Photos: 8
- June 14th 2012 A dramatic arrival to the shores of Lake Atitlan, yoga and the Chilean witch.
by Words: 848 Photos: 7
- March 26th 2012 Chocomil, Micheladas and other words I can't spell from Lake Atitlan
by Words: 440 Photos: 45