Background: The Maya civilization flourished in Guatemala and surrounding regions during the first millennium A.D. After almost three centuries as a Spanish colony, Guatemala won its independence in 1821. During the second half of the 20th century, it experienced a variety of military and civilian governments as well as a 36-year guerrilla war. In 1996, the government signed a peace agreement formally ending the conflict, which had left more than 100,000 people dead and had created some 1 million refugees.
Photos from Petén Region
Blogs from Petén Region
Latest Blogs from Petén Region
- October 17th 2013 Guatemala - the land with a monopoly on colour!
by Words: 2678 Photos: 13
- October 12th 2013 Tikal, another Mayan jewel!
by Words: 841 Photos: 13
- October 8th 2013 Maya trail continues to Guatemala
by Words: 745 Photos: 8
- July 22nd 2013 Jungle and Tikal
by Words: 433 Photos: 8
- July 19th 2013 Day 21 - Flores
by Words: 399 Photos: 14
- July 9th 2013 Tikal
by Words: 567 Photos: 7
- July 2nd 2013 Days 14-19: Antigua, Semuc Champey, Tikal and Guate - The Whirlwind Tour
by Words: 2692 Photos: 63
- May 7th 2013 Steamy Flores & Ancient Tikal
by Words: 1354 Photos: 13
- March 10th 2013 Leaving Antigua and on to Tikal
by Words: 319 Photos: 0
- February 26th 2013 Tikal
by Words: 1042 Photos: 9
- February 7th 2013 Mayan site of Tikal
by Words: 199 Photos: 15
- February 3rd 2013 Caves, waterfalls, river and canyons
by Words: 851 Photos: 17
- January 29th 2013 Flores and Tikal - The final days in Guatemala
by Words: 493 Photos: 9
- December 28th 2012 Caye Caulker at Christmas, Sharks and back into the Jungle
by Words: 421 Photos: 0
- November 21st 2012 Eastward bound... the journey continues... today Flores (Flowers), tomorrow... THE BEACH!
by Words: 1433 Photos: 10
- November 20th 2012 Separately – Ann in sleep and Clay in the woods, but both in a dream world...
by Words: 1347 Photos: 29
- November 19th 2012 When RUINed things don't seem so RUINed.
by Words: 1169 Photos: 25
- November 18th 2012 This is the REAL Guatemala!
by Words: 1807 Photos: 11
- August 26th 2012 Guatemala
by Words: 629 Photos: 16
- July 29th 2012 Guatemala.......All time!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Words: 1265 Photos: 67