Background: The Sinhalese arrived in Sri Lanka late in the 6th century B.C., probably from northern India. Buddhism was introduced beginning in about the mid-third century B.C., and a great civilization developed at the cities of Anuradhapura (kingdom from circa 200 B.C. to circa A.D. 1000) and Polonnaruwa (from about 1070 to 1200). In the 14th century, a south Indian dynasty seized power in the north and established a Tamil kingdom. Occupied by the Portuguese in the 16th century and by the Dutch in the 17th century, the island was ceded to the British in 1796, became a crown colony in 1802, and was united under British rule by 1815. As Ceylon, it became independent in 1948; its name was changed to Sri Lanka in 1972. Tensions between the Sinhalese majority and Tamil separatists erupted into war in 1983. Tens of thousands have died in an ethnic conflict that continues to fester. After two decades of fighting, the government and Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam formalized a cease-fire in February 2002, with Norway brokering peace negotiations.
Photos from Nuwara Eliya
Blogs from Nuwara Eliya
Latest Blogs from Nuwara Eliya
- May 11th 2013 Little England and Leechgate
by Words: 1062 Photos: 5
- March 6th 2013 Nuwara Eliya – “Little England”
by Words: 205 Photos: 8
- April 26th 2012 Kandy & Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka - 15 to 19 April 2012
by Words: 2212 Photos: 11
- December 23rd 2011 Merry Christmas from Sri Lanka!!
by Words: 730 Photos: 38
- July 15th 2011 Ranskassa, Englannissa vai Sri Lankassa?
by Words: 2368 Photos: 10
- October 5th 2010 Sri Lanka Safari and the Tea Hills
by Words: 695 Photos: 27
- May 30th 2010 THE TEA COUNTRY
by Words: 2108 Photos: 46
- February 24th 2010 Birding Sri Lanka
by Words: 613 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2008 Nuwara Eliya - A Breath of Fresh Air
by Words: 378 Photos: 22
- August 11th 2008 Seeta Amman Kovil - Nuwera Eliya
by Words: 116 Photos: 28
- August 10th 2008 On the way to Nuwara Eliya - Our precious memories in Sri Lanka
by Words: 5 Photos: 17
- March 18th 2008 Soggy Sri Lanka!
by Words: 1254 Photos: 21
- July 14th 1991 sri lanka
by Words: 2 Photos: 0