Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Blogs from Donsol
Latest Blogs from Donsol
- April 24th 2013 Donsol (21-22 Apr 13)
by Words: 320 Photos: 10
- January 25th 2013 141.den - presun Puerto Princesa,Manila,Legazpi,Donsol
by Words: 1336 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2012 Butanding
by Words: 779 Photos: 5
- June 9th 2011 Manila, Tita Lili and Whale Sharks
by Words: 2921 Photos: 18
- May 24th 2011 Visiting the gentle giants: Legaspi & Donsol
by Words: 1457 Photos: 37
- April 24th 2011 Emma Queen of the Whale Sharks
by Words: 1098 Photos: 2
- April 1st 2011 SWIMMING ABOUT WITH THE BUTANDINGS
by Words: 1610 Photos: 27
- February 28th 2011 Swimming with whale sharks in Donsol!!
by Words: 965 Photos: 15
- April 11th 2010 auge in auge mit dem walhai
by Words: 689 Photos: 8
- March 24th 2010 The Philippines
by Words: 1331 Photos: 10
- March 15th 2010 The Whale Shark of Donsol !!!
by Words: 1902 Photos: 18
- March 5th 2010 Day 170: Whale sharks, volcanoes and fireflies, oh my!
by Words: 1519 Photos: 0
- February 21st 2010 filipino adventures
by Words: 2549 Photos: 23
- May 7th 2009 The Philippines - vegetarians and kosher Jews need not apply...
by Words: 1758 Photos: 4
- April 22nd 2009 Philippines I: Manila, Naga, Donsol
by Words: 831 Photos: 14
- March 8th 2009 The Buntanding - a really really cool fish!
by Words: 929 Photos: 2
- February 24th 2009 Butanding the majestic giants
by Words: 1159 Photos: 6
- February 18th 2009 Not that I'm bragging but I Just swam with whale sharks
by Words: 1303 Photos: 26
- June 15th 2008 "Shark In The Water. Quick, Jump In"
by Words: 1206 Photos: 32
- May 10th 2008 Whoa, I think you should cut back on the plankton
by Words: 434 Photos: 22