Background: In 1951, the Nepalese monarch ended the century-old system of rule by hereditary premiers and instituted a cabinet system of government. Reforms in 1990 established a multiparty democracy within the framework of a constitutional monarchy. A Maoist insurgency, launched in 1996, has gained traction and is threatening to bring down the regime, especially after a negotiated cease-fire between the Maoists and government forces broke down in August 2003. In 2001, the crown prince massacred ten members of the royal family, including the king and queen, and then took his own life. In October 2002, the new king dismissed the prime minister and his cabinet for "incompetence" after they dissolved the parliament and were subsequently unable to hold elections because of the ongoing insurgency. While stopping short of reestablishing parliament, the king in June 2004 reinstated the most recently elected prime minister who formed a four-party coalition government, which the king subsequently tasked with paving the way for elections to be held in spring of 2005. Citing dissatisfaction with the government's lack of progress in addressing the Maoist insurgency, the king in February 2005 dissolved the government and assumed power.
Photos from Everest flight
Blogs from Everest flight
Latest Blogs from Everest flight
- March 16th 2012 Up in the Air
by Words: 1825 Photos: 30
- March 29th 2011 On the way to Lukla
by Words: 177 Photos: 0
- December 23rd 2009 Flying over Everest
by Words: 64 Photos: 17
- November 9th 2008 Himalayan Mountain Flight
by Words: 18 Photos: 3
- October 25th 2008 On to Kathmandu and Everest
by Words: 3026 Photos: 3
- July 31st 2008 Temple Crawl and Everest Flight
by Words: 411 Photos: 15
- July 30th 2008 On Top of the World ...WOOOOHOOOO!!!
by Words: 920 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2008 An update at last!
by Words: 1506 Photos: 0
- February 2nd 2008 Mt. Everest
by Words: 254 Photos: 13
- December 14th 2007 EVEREST FLIGHT
by Words: 613 Photos: 12
- October 27th 2007 Top experiences
by Words: 831 Photos: 0
- October 3rd 2007 Everest Mountain Flight - On Top of the World even if I am another year older!!!
by Words: 480 Photos: 13
- August 5th 2007 Everest Flight 07
by Words: 60 Photos: 12